Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Tis the Season for Winter Festivals


I'm behind already, but that doesn't mean my handful of faithful readers have to be! I only play a handful of MMOs (and not even all the ones I would like to -- it's hard to keep them all patched), but I decided I should share the dates, times and various details about the upcoming (or in-progress) winter festivals in the games I play.
______________________________

RIFT
Fae Yule
Starts: Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM PST (NA) and 3:30 PM UTC (EU)
Ends: Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 3:30 PM PST (NA) and 3:30 PM UTC (EU)

This one has been going for a week now, but you still have another 3 weeks to grind away for rewards. Admittedly not my favorite winter festival in a game, there's still plenty of fun to be had. I particularly enjoy sledding down a hill in Iron Pine Peak, hitting as many snowmen on the way as I can. The fact that you can just keep doing this one over and over is a definite perk. For the completionists among you, I have bad news: unless you grind every single day of the festival and get really lucky, you probably aren't going to get all the achievements done without spending some credits (and real money, by proxy). I'm hopeful I might finally earn the Snow Kirin mount this year, but it hinges on some acquiring of festival pets and then some.

This guide can help you if you're stuck or lost, and it's not missing much even though it's 2 years old (all the games recycle their festival content anyway and simply update the rewards).

Additionally, RIFT has a rather nice Festive Fae Yule Pack this year -- if you compare the cost of the items in the store to the $19.99 it costs, it's a fantastic deal. I recommend it to those of you who don't have the included souls unlocked yet. You won't find a better price for them! And the booster is nice if you're tired of the leveling grind. (Trion, a pox on you for ruining the way we used to get through that last stretch of levels before 65. It's now torture. You hear me?!)
______________________________


Guild Wars 2
Wintersday
Starts: Tuesday, December 12th
Ends: Tuesday, January 2nd

Yes, that's a picture of my Charr character, Seda Ashreaver -- and yes, she's wearing the wedding outfit. Deal with it.

I don't actually know anything about the GW2 winter festival, but I read something about... Toypocalypse? I dunno. It's a fun game in the first place, just a pain to keep patched with my limited data. I imagine if you visited some of the mainstream game info websites you'll find out more than what I can provide! Still, it's on my list because I enjoy the game -- and I miss it! It began yesterday, so there's plenty of time to get some goodies.
______________________________


Neverwinter
Winter Festival of Simril
Starts: Thursday, December 14 at 7:30 AM PT (PC) and 10 AM PT (Console)
Ends: Thursday, January 4 at 7:30 AM PT (PC) and 10AM PT (Console)

The main attraction for me is the Twilight Run (pictured). You go racing down an icy pathway, sliding around, and you have to beat other racers for bonuses along the way. The really fun part is that there's a window of time when the race is active (they rotate the active events so you are competing against other players) and you keep racing as long as the event is up so your score keeps going up. Top score gets the best loot. It's tough at first, but once you learn the tricks it's a lot of fun.

There's also ice fishing/fighting off undead, then an all-out assault area where you rack up points based on the enemies you take out, plus stargazing for fortunes, and a daily gift. There are also gifts you can spawn for your friends to gather up. I did the grind in this festival a few years ago and earned the adorable Fawn of Shiallia companion which is great for healing you when you're playing solo.

This is my second-favorite winter festival not just because of the loot and bonuses, but also because the area for it is beautiful. If nothing else, check out the atmosphere!
______________________________

The Lord of the Rings Online
Yuletide Festival
Starts: 10:00 AM Eastern on Thursday, December 14th
Ends: January 7th

Do you wanna build a snowman? (Ugh, I hate myself for even making that reference!)

Well, you can in LOTRO's Yule festival area. You can make several of them if you only first go and collect the items you need to decorate them with. There's also cleaning up messy tables, defeating icy grims, chopping wood trolls, snowball fights, playing an extra in the theater, eating contests, picking pockets, setting off fireworks, and uncovering the political plot in the wintery tourist town. There are also Yule quests to do back at the main starter cities for the original four races (elf, dwarf, hobbit, man).

Did I mention the XP is fantastic? And did you hear they mentioned having a Winter Elk Mount as one of the festival rewards? Incentive! This festival is my favorite because even though there's a grind, it isn't difficult and most of the tasks are still pretty fun!
______________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment