Saturday, January 18, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Dark Souls


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Dark Souls by FromSoftware.



THE STATS

Name: Dark Souls
Developer: FromSoftware
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Release Date: September 22, 2011
Genres: Action role-playing
Composer(s): Motoi Sakuraba


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

Firelink Shrine
The first 30 seconds honestly sounds like a smoother, elongated variation of the beginning of Vivaldi's "Winter" from The Four Seasons because of the chord progression. That is not me accusing Motoi Sakuraba of any kind of plagiarism -- that is my way of bestowing high praise.

Gwynevere, Princess of Sunlight
This sounds like the capitulation of an epic opera or musical where there is a magnificent wedding scene. The building of angelic voices and organ, punctuated with harp and assorted stringed instruments leads to a point halfway through where percussion, plucked strings, and bell chimes make this clearly sound like a processional. It has an uplifting sound the rest of the soundtrack lacks.

Great Grey Wolf Sif
I've heard all about Sif's story from my husband, and knowing the story definitely gives this track an added layer of emotions. (No spoilers from me -- I'll join the Souls fans by saying you should go play the game.) Without the story information, listening to the track still takes you across a spectrum of sounds and implied feelings. This is my favorite track. It is suspenseful, flowing, harmonic... and an overall pleasure to listen to.

The Ancient Dragon
An incredibly impressive track making use of vocals and minimal instruments. This is is sound that can haunt you.

Dark Sun Gwyndolin
The feminine vocals with the harp make this track sad and ethereal (the minor chords help, too). I don't recommend listening to this if you're depressed or prone to overdramatic melancholy -- but it is a beautiful piece nonetheless. This is my #2, easily.

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
I had to include this one... because it's entirely piano. Don't click the link expecting something light like George Winston, however. As a reminder, the game title is Dark Souls.



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube by clicking here: 




WHY I RECOMMEND IT

You have to be in a particular mood to listen to this, but it's easily a great soundtrack to listen to in the background as you write or read something of the fantasy genre. It's epic on many levels, and the deep richness of the compositions that make up the entire soundtrack is a joy to listen to.

THE COMPOSER: MOTOI SAKURABA

My husband is one of the die hard Souls fans who has been in love with the series from day one. As such, I've learned a lot about the series from him. One of the things I learned first was that the soundtracks are epic and really help to capture specific moments that take place in the game. I don't have this kind of experience, but listening to the compositions is enough for me as a musician to appreciate the craft that went into the music.

If you're a gamer of any kind, you've probably played or heard of several of the games Motoi has composed for. Aside from the Souls games, he has also composed for the Tales series, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Golden Sun, and various tracks for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, Super Mario Bros. 3, Phantasy Star Nova, and many others. He has also done many arrangements for franchises he has had previous involvement with.

I'm kind of interested to find and listen to his first band's only studio album from 1988, Baroque in the Future, just to see what kind of musical journey he's been on. Perhaps also because the band, Clashed Ice, was formed the year I was born (1984). My curiosity aside, Motoi has clearly made an impact on video game music over the span three decades. It will be interesting to see how far he goes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment