Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Wishlist Wednesday: Tokyo Dark


In this weekly feature, I share game titles from my various gaming wishlists. I share screenshots and video from the developer, talk about my expectations, and generally just ramble about why the title made it onto my list in the first place. This week's choice is Tokyo Dark by Cherrymochi.


THE STATS

Name: Tokyo Dark
Developer: Cherrymochi
Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: September 7, 2017
Genres: Point-and-click adventure, Visual novel
Wishlist Location: Steam


MEDIA FROM TOKYODARK.COM


  

   



  




 (Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)


WHY I WANT IT

I am an extremely particular person when it comes to visual novels. At first glance, that's what I thought this game was. I saw a friend had acquired it on Steam and the name intrigued me, so I had a look at it. Then I saw that there was point-and-click adventure style gaming in the mix, as well as an anime style. That it is also a horror genre and promises 11 different ending depending on difficult decisions... I was sold. I like to have options, but not in the Choose Your Own Adventure novel style. I want the options to really be meaningful, and it feels like this game has that covered.

I'm also usually pleased with games that are funded by Kickstarter, like this one was. There is often a lot of blood, sweat, and tears that go into games that get off the ground via crowdfunding because the creators are working hard to (a) get the funding, and (b) deliver the goods when it's funded. The seal of approval by Square Enix choosing to publish the game (with a 94% rating by the Collective members) only emphasizes their success.

I want to see why it received a 94%.


If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment