Saturday, March 28, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt by CD Projekt Red.




I'd like to begin this entry with a small apology: this isn't going to be the best of entries on my behalf. As my job is considered "essential" during the current pandemic, it has been much busier and I am therefore quite tired every day. 
So, to be clear, I've covered my usual bases here but haven't gone into any real elaboration of anything in particular. I think the quality and popularity of the game speaks for itself without me having to point at the soundtrack and say, "Look at this! This is amazing! Do you hear it?!" I'll probably write a penance entry and cover the DLC soundtracks in the future, to ease my conscience.

You may now resume reading. --snarkqueen


THE STATS

Name: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Developer: CD Projekt Red
Publisher: CD Projekt
Release Date: May 19, 2015
Genres: Action role-playing
Composer(s): Marcin Przybyłowicz, Mikołaj Stroiński


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


Geralt of Rivia
(Length: 1:55) There's actually nothing particularly special about this track, other than it reminding me, thematically, of The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing music -- but expanded and brightened into something more epic. There is also a brief musical theme with chord progression that is reminiscent of the more recent Toss a Coin to Your Witcher. Hearing that similarity made my inner musician happy. And now I want to rewatch the Netflix series.

Aen Seidhe
(Length: 2:11) This just struck me as a beautifully composed piece that sounds richly exotic to emphasize the group it is named for -- elves.

Hunt or Be Hunted
(Length: 2:25) If you've read enough of my Soundtrack Saturday entries by now, you know I'm a sucker for tracks like this with a rolling rhythm. It projects hurried movement and danger and adventure all at the same time. This is the music that goes well with riding a horse at breakneck speeds across the countryside, either being chased or in pursuit. You can imagine that, right?

Kaer Morhen
(Length: 2:35) One of the few pieces with a bright-sounding woodwind carrying the melody, this track reminds me a great deal of Okami. Change up some of the other instruments for asian variants and you'd hear it, too. That said, the flute voice helps this track stand out among the rest in a great way.

The Hunt is Coming
(Length: 2:05) Some of the underlying bass melody, mixed with the percussion and brass, particularly around 1:07, makes me think of the 1989 Batman theme by Danny Elfman -- just a bit slower.

The Song of the Sword
(Length: 2:12) I wasn't sure if I wanted to include mentioning this one, because I'm not really a fan of the vocals. But there's something about the balance of percussion, strings, vocals, and other minor elements that makes it stand out as worthy of mention.



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube: 





THE WITCHER SERIES AND ME

Let's address the elephant in the room, shall we? No, I haven't played any of The Witcher games. I own the first two on PC, and my husband owns the third on PS4. Steam tells me that on Christmas Day of 2013 I spent 45 minutes playing the first game.

I remember that attempt. I never finished the tutorial. Up to that point, I hadn't played very many action-y games, and I was in over my head. At the time, I just shrugged and moved on to something else. I didn't realize that several years later I'd watch the Netflix series and fall in love with the world and characters. I have the books wishlisted on Amazon. I want to rewatch Henry Cavill drop the F-bomb and grunt non-committal answers. And yes, I want to watch Jaskier annoy Geralt with the impromptu-instant-hit Toss a Coin to Your Witcher.

But truly, I feel like I need to play this series, and that may be something I tackle this year and blog about...



That's my epic tale
Our champion prevailed
Defeated the villain
Now pour him some ale!

Toss a coin to your Witcher
Oh, valley of plenty
Oh, valley of plenty, ohhhhh
Toss a coin to your Witcher
A friend of humanityyyyyy--!

No comments:

Post a Comment