Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Wishlist Wednesday: Hades


In this weekly feature, I share game titles from my various gaming wishlists. I share screenshots and video from the developer, talk about my expectations, and generally just ramble about why the title made it onto my list in the first place. This week's choice is Hades by Supergiant Games.



THE STATS

Name: Hades
Developer: Supergiant Games
Publisher: Supergiant Games
Release Date: 2020
Genres: Rogue-like dungeon crawler
Wishlist Location: Steam


MEDIA FROM SUPERGIANTGAMES.COM



























(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)



WHY I WANT IT

I've actually got mixed feelings here for a number of reasons. Let me count the ways:

  1. I don't like or generally support Early Access titles unless they are sequels to games I enjoy AND are produced by game developers I have had good experiences with. I didn't like the last Supergiant game (Pyre), so that's a strike right out of the gate.
  2. I don't like the Epic Games Store. I get that they're new to the game store/launcher scene and have some stuff to work out and they're trying to reel people in with free games all the time -- but I honestly feel that information security should come first and not be something that needs patching up later on. There have been too many red flags.
  3. I don't like Exclusivity. If you want to do Early Access, make it on more than just one platform or just wait to release a finished product everywhere you intend to. Exclusives on consoles leave a bad taste in my mouth, too. It doesn't make people go out and buy a console, it just makes a percentage of gamers bitter.

That aside, I'm also sort of iffy on the rogue-like element. I like the story set-up, and I'm generally a fan of Greek mythology (it's some seriously messed up stuff). But I have a soft spot for Supergiant, ever since playing Bastion and Transistor. I loved those games, and I'm usually 100% on board with music by Darren Korb.

So... I'm not going to buy into the Early Access nonsense, and I'm going to wait for a full and finished released product later this year... but I'm also probably going to wait for a hefty discount. Sorry, Supergiant. Pyre was just that much of a letdown for me that I'm hesitant to buy in and be supportive this time. And the prolonged "Early Access" just makes it feel like an old game at this point and not new.

If we're talking mythology, I'm probably more excited for Ubisoft's Gods & Monsters.



If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment