Saturday, June 27, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: BioShock Infinite

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is BioShock Infinite by Irrational Games.


THE STATS

Name: BioShock Infinite
Developer: Irrational Games
Publisher: 2K Games
Release Date: March 26, 2013
Genres: First-person shooter
Composer: Garry Schyman


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


Will The Circle Be Unbroken
(Length: 2:57) There are a few versions of this song in the game, but my favorite is the choral version, with soloist Maureen Murphy. It's simply breathtaking. It may sound hopeful and uplifting, but once you know more about the story in the game, it can be downright depressing to hear.

Elizabeth
(Length: 2:03) I didn't play far enough to experience the depth of Elizabeth's story, but this short piece definitely says a lot about her and her story. The strings are fantastic.

(Length: 3:40) The magic of this track is that it was made to sound like it's playing from an old scratchy record. Back when I used to be able to stream on Twitch, my AFK screen played the Intermission theme from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. If I can ever stream again, this is going to be the new track for that screen.

(Length: 1:19) I included this one because of the sinister but hauntingly beautiful theme it offers up. It almost sounds like it could be from a Harry Potter soundtrack, and that's okay with me.

(Length: 1:14) Just going to leave this one here. If you've played the game, try not to cry too hard. It's Saturday, after all, and we're here to enjoy a soundtrack.



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:




WHY I RECOMMEND IT

Have you... ever played one of the BioShock games? If not, they have this certain quality and vibe to them that is unlike any other series. They simultaneously throw you into the past while reaching for the future, painting a picture of dystopia and corruption even though things may be beautiful and perfect on the exterior. I recommend giving the first one a try if you haven't, because the whole story surrounding Rapture is intense. You have to like the first-person shooter genre, and not mind some jump scare scenarios, but the story and the environment shouldn't be missed. Infinite is the third installment of the series (and, sadly, the last), and is a bit on the brighter side... but the story still packs a punch. The music helps with that.


THE COMPOSER: GARRY SCHYMAN

I had to flex my Google-Fu again this week, but I am pleasantly surprised by Garry's portfolio!

Starting in the early 80's, Mr. Schyman composed for television series like Magnum, P.I. and The A-Team, with works spanning well into the early 2000's. His film compositions have a similar span, stretching all the way to 2019. And I'm happy to say that not only did he compose for all three BioShock titles, but he also composed for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and Middle-earth: Shadow of War -- both phenomenal games. There are other great game titles in there, too -- Destroy All Humans!, Dante's Inferno, and The Bureau: XCOM Declassified.

I applaud you for your diversity, Mr. Schyman. And thank you for your complex compositions for the BioShock series!

No comments:

Post a Comment