Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Wishlist Wednesday: The Longing


In this weekly feature, I share game titles from my various gaming wishlists. I share screenshots and video from the developer, talk about my expectations, and generally just ramble about why the title made it onto my list in the first place. This week's choice is The Longing by Studio Seufz.





THE STATS

Name: The Longing
Developer: Studio Seufz
Publisher: Application Systems Heidelberg
Release Date: March 5, 2020
Genres: Point-and-click adventure, idle
Wishlist Location: Steam



MEDIA FROM 399D-23H-59M-59S.COM

(That is the BEST site URL ever for a game based on a 400-day wait!)


















(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)



WHY I WANT IT

If you haven't read about the legend this game's fashioned after, it's an interesting little read over on Wikipedia: Kyffhäuser legend. I've always adored the various legends and myths about King Arthur, so a similar legend about a historical figure is just as intriguing to me!

The game has garnered a wide spectrum of feedback and reviews, but I honestly feel the negative ones are easily discredited as this is not the type of game for everyone to play. It focuses on the emotional state of a shade who has to wait to wake the sleeping king -- wait exactly 400 days, which is tracked in real time by the game. Don't think about cheating like you probably did with The Stanley Parable, either -- the game won't let you get away with it and has a dungeon system to deal with as a consequence if you try.

It is an intentionally slow-paced game where, I feel, the focus is meant to be on empathizing with the shade as time passes. There are things to do, but it isn't a non-stop grind where you're going to be busy 100% of the time. And I'm okay with that. A lot of gamers in younger generations? Probably not so much. But this game seems to capture the essence of lockdowns and quarantines for many, and the irony of it releasing during the coronavirus pandemic isn't lost on people.

Do I want to sit as a character in a game and read Poe? Yes. Yes, I do.





If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!




No comments:

Post a Comment