Saturday, August 15, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Armello


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Armello by League of Geeks.



THE STATS

Name: Armello
Developer: League of Geeks
Publisher: League of Geeks
Release Date: September 1, 2015
Genres: Role-playing, digital board game
Composer(s): Lisa Gerrard, Michael Allen


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


In Darkness
(Length: 2:44) Beautifully eerie!

Blackheart
(Length: 2:24) This one takes the theme from The Creeping Black (which is still somewhat hopeful with its moving strings) and gives it more personality, and an extra sinister vibe. The percussion is slowed down, and it draws the focus in on the embellished theme.

Far From Home
(Length: 4:27) This one gives me Ori and the Blind Forest vibes -- which is a real compliment. It sounds similar in a way, just a bit different in the instrument department. It's got suspense, promises of epic sounds, and a haunting combination of vocals and strings.

Wyld's Call
(Length: 3:41) The beginning of this one reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it! I know I've heard the same chord progression somewhere. If it rings any bells with you, please leave a comment.

Dawn's Sunset
(Length: 2:07) I just like this one. It's neither uplifting or dark, it just is and has a great title. This is the ideal track to use for a trailer, if you ask me.



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:





WHY I RECOMMEND IT

This is one of those epic, orchestral soundtracks you can listen to in the background and simply feel inspired. It doesn't distract you from projects, but if you focus on it you can get swept away by the perfection that is composition and balance. Seriously, it's that good. It makes me wish I was even halfway decent at playing the game! (Don't ever ask me to play. I'm AWFUL.) But you should definitely check out this soundtrack if you enjoy fantasy-ish orchestral music.

I mean it. I've even provided a Steam link at the end of the entry so you can buy it when you realize how epic it is. You're welcome.

THE COMPOSERS


An active singer and songwriter, she has done original works solo and with collaborations, and she is credited on soundtracks like Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Heat, and Mission Impossible 2.

You may know him from video game works like Rise of the Guardians, The Croods, Penguins of Madagascar -- are you seeing a trend? -- and How to Train Your Dragon 2.






No comments:

Post a Comment