Saturday, October 3, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night by ArtPlay.




THE STATS

Developer: ArtPlay
Publisher: 505 Games
Release Date: June 18, 2019
Genres: Metroidvania
Composer: Michiru Yamane, Keisuke Ito, Ryusuke Fujioka


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


Goliath
(Length: 2:38) This track reminds me of several things at once: a Studio Ghibli movie, Danny Elfman, Final Fantasy... put in a blender with an orchestra and church bells. I love it!

Theme of Dominique
(Length: 2:05) Pizzicato vs. arco in the strings, with a flowing, mournful melody from the oboe. This is masterful composition! It sings of determination, but not necessarily happiness.

Everblack
(Length: 2:59) Yes, there's 8-bit music in the game... if you know how to get it. I love this one in particular because it makes me think of fond memories with my Sega Game Gear for some reason.

An Unclouded Sky
(Length: 2:59) A great ending theme if ever I heard one -- but it could also be an amazing opening theme if you didn't know when it played in the game! 

Theme of Johannes
(Length: 2:05) I can't even properly explain what I love about this track. I think it's all of the unconventional sounds mixed with the orchestra. It's weird and different!

King of Kings
(Length: 2:59) Final boss theme, if you couldn't tell. Epic all the way! It reminds me a little of Dark Souls music in some places -- but then has brighter tones that swing it back towards the anime end of the spectrum. What do you think?



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:






WHY I RECOMMEND IT

This game is considered the spiritual successor to the Castlevania series since the development lead was the former series producer, Koji Igarashi. The game came into conception after Koji left Konami in 2014 and felt called by fans to create another Metroidvania game. One successful Kickstarter campaign later, we get this game, a retro-style companion game (Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon), and a sequel to that game (Curse of the Moon 2). The Castlevania series is on my list of games I want to play, so I guess I need to add this one to that list, too!

But as far as the music goes, it has a great orchestral feel to it -- it sounds like it belongs to a dramatic, dark anime with epic fights and emotional upheaval. There's a lot of organ and operatic vocals. In a way, it sounds like an upgraded Eternal Poison. (I know I keep going back to that. Sorry, not sorry.) So if you enjoy darker moods, and you totally rock Halloween, you might want some of these tracks in your workout playlist.

Oh yes, and let's not forget the tracks with the jamming electric guitar and/or cultural instrumental sounds to spice things up!


THE COMPOSER: MICHIRU YAMANE

We have a heavy hitter this week! Since this game is considered a spiritual successor to the Castlevania series, of course they have the composer FROM the Castlevania series. Yep, that's right. Michiru's your gal.

Her website has all of her info available, but the blog is only in Japanese. It's there that I learned that after quitting from Konami in 2008, she's composed as a freelancer for a broader spectrum of fields that include film, anime, healing music, and several games. Plenty to appreciate!


No comments:

Post a Comment