Saturday, November 21, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Bastion

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Bastion by Supergiant Games.



THE STATS

Name: Bastion
Developer: Supergiant Games
Release Date: July 20, 2011
Genres: Action role-playing
Composer: Darren Korb


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


(Length: 4:09) For me, this track is alllll about the strings. The percussion is just there as support.

(Length: 4:06) Is there a way to describe the sound of this one? I don't think so, other than to say it has a foreign air, and a sense of distress about it. There's tension that carries through rather than finding any kind of resolve or final resolution.

(Length: 2:54) Perfect blend of electric guitar, banjo and harmonica? Yes. This is a gritty western anthem at heart.

(Length: 4:28) You might get stuck on the melody, but listen to that deep bass line! 

(Length: 2:54) If this song doesn't make you tear up, you didn't play the game (or didn't pay attention). This is the ending song, and it blends two others in an amazing way.

"I set my sail;
Fly, the wind it will take me
Back to my home, sweet home..."



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:




WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I might not enjoy Bastion as much as Transistor, but it's still an awesome game and soundtrack. Like Transistor, you can listen to it whenever and never tire of it. 


THE COMPOSER: DARREN KORB


His stuff is still good, and I'm waiting to hear what he'll be composing for next from Supergiant!


No comments:

Post a Comment