Saturday, November 7, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Final Fantasy VI

 


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Final Fantasy VI by Square.




THE STATS

Developer: Square
Publisher: Square
Release Date: April 2, 1994
Genres: Role-playing
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

(Length: 3:18) This is the song that got me hooked. I immediately wanted to hear it arranged for a sax quartet. I still do, in fact. The note pattern rolls right along and sounds suitably spooky/mysterious!

(Length: 1:55) I admit that I heard a remix of this first, and the remix will forever be my favorite. It's called "Mogstradamus and His Glorious Diamond-Encrusted Ukulele" by Brandon Strader. You're welcome.

(Length: 3:50) This is a great, adventure-y overworld track. I first heard it in the Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Curtain Call game for 3DS. (Which is a great game -- it makes me sad they are ceasing production of the 3DS.) It has that great march cadence underneath the melody!

(Length: 2:56) Sounds suspiciously Zelda-ish, no? I give it a pass. It's pretty. I first heard this in the Theatrhythm game as well. I haven't played Final Fantasy VI, but this track sounds very much like a lullaby. Lovely!

(Length: 1:35) It took me a loooooooong time to understand the obsession with chocobos. I kinda get it now. So I had to include this version of the Chocobo theme.



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:


  



WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I actually didn't know a thing about the Final Fantasy series until I encountered two things:

  1. Chocobo Robo Voice, back when it was just a flash animation during my college years. Which led to....
  2. OverClocked Remixes of various songs from the Final Fantasy series. (OC Remix got me into a lot of game series this way, in fact!)
As a series that has inspired so many fan creations, and the fact that they're working on the 16th in the series when this entry is covering the 6th -- you'll probably hear something you like. If not in this OST, then another from the series!



THE COMPOSER: NOBUO UEMATSU

It's the Beethoven of video game music, himself!

Look. At. This. Face. This is a guy who loves making music and loves expressing emotions with it, no matter what those emotions are. That is the hallmark of a great composer! His production company is called Smile Please. He has been in two rock bands: The Black Mages and Earthbound Papas.

And as for his repertoire? Oh man. I don't know many of the older titles, and a lot of others are distinctly Japanese, but he's composed for some of my favorites like Fantasy Life (3DS), Fairy Fencer F, Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, and Fairy Tail the Movie: The Phoenix Priestess. 

[Photo credit: Sharon Nathan]



No comments:

Post a Comment