Saturday, December 26, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Stardew Valley

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Stardew Valley by ConcernedApe.



THE STATS

Name: Stardew Valley
Developer: ConcernedApe (Eric Barone)
Publisher: ConcernedApe (Eric Barone)
Release Date: February 26, 2016
Genres: Indie, RPG, simulation
Composer: Eric Barone



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

Summer (The Sun Can Bend an Orange Sky)
(Length: 3:40) I don't know how, but it really DOES sound like heat itself and has definitive summer vibes.

(Length: 1:53) I included this one because it's just so tranquil...

(Length: 2:08) Low-key creepy music that has a groove? Yes.

(Length: 3:20) This one is my favorite. The chimes and crystal tones help to truly capture that ice and winter vibe, and there are enough smaller, playful elements to keep it from being dull.

(Length: 2:08) Airy pan pipe sounds with strings and woodwinds? I'm sold. I'm immediately thinking Zelda or elves or a fun fantasy adventure.

(Length: 1:16) It had "music box" in the title. That's good enough for me.


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:




WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

The game has been a great success, and while the music can be a little simplistic it is by no means undeserving of praise. The elements are subtle enough that you can let it play in the background and not be distracted, but at the same time it isn't so generic that you can't take a closer listen and enjoy what you hear to its fullest potential. 


THE COMPOSER: ERIC BARONE

The dude one-manned this game in its entirety and it took him 4 years to do it. All the respect for so much hard work! He's working on some new projects, but still got an update pushed out for Stardew Valley earlier this month. I think this is a talented developer worth watching to see what other projects come next: if he's careful, he can cultivate a strong library of works by using this first one as a springboard. I'd hate to see him relegated to one-hit wonder.




🎁 Did you know I'm giving away games? 🎁


No comments:

Post a Comment