Saturday, December 12, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: VVVVVV

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is VVVVVV by Terry Cavanagh.



There are 3 Soundtracks today, so be sure to also check out Journey and Starbound! My apologies for their lateness -- I was moving! --snarkqueen

THE STATS

Name: VVVVVV
Developer: Terry Cavanagh
Publisher: Nicalis
Release Date: January 11, 2010
Genres: 2D platformer, puzzle-platformer
Composer: Magnus Pålsson


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

This is a chiptune OST, so... there isn't very much that's unique about the tracks. But listen -- chiptunes!

(Length: 3:40) 

(Length: 2:53) 

(Length: 2:22) If I had to pick a favorite, it's this one.

(Length: 6:09) 

(Length: 2:19) 



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:



WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I don't, really. It all blends together and is over in a fairly short amount of time. Not bad to pad your chiptune playlist with, but not altogether memorable.


THE COMPOSER: MAGNUS PÅLSSON

Dude likes the old school games and the machines they ran on, and that's why he makes this kind of music. I have a lot of respect for the composition work and sampling that happens to make these sound as good as they do! If you want to hear more of his stuff, you can find him on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, and YouTube.


No comments:

Post a Comment