Saturday, February 6, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Chrono Trigger

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Chrono Trigger by Square.



THE STATS

Name: Chrono Trigger
Developer: Square
Publisher: Square/Square Enix
Release Date: March 11, 1995
Genres: Roleplaying
Composer(s): Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


(Length: 4:47) This one sucked me in from the start with the arpeggios. It made me think of Zelda tracks and has that mystical sound of a magical place.

(Length: 1:14) This one just sounded different from a lot of the other tracks, with a contrast between the broad undercurrent and light, tinkly embellisments.

(Length: 2:32) A waltz! You don't know it at first until other elements are added in to emphasize the 3/4 time. The best part (to me) is that it isn't a happy, uplifting waltz. It's keyed in a way to sound uncertain and neutral.

(Length: 2:49) This one brings back memories. Back in the 90's when everyone was on AOL, one of my roleplay friends had a website for his character and it had a midi version of this song as its music. I didn't know at the time that it was from this game, I just liked it and always associated it with Milremose the mage.

(Length: 2:35) I love that this takes the simple melody of another track (Chrono and Marle ~ A Distant Promise) and builds on it. I adore the other track to begin with because it's a music box theme -- and that's a weakness of mine. The end result is something that sounds like it belongs in a Studio Ghibli movie!


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Look up any list on the internet of "best game soundtracks" and you will find Chrono Trigger on it. Go ahead, I'll wait right here.

Not only has it stood up to the test of time, but it has a diversity of sound that paints a picture to go with the story even for those who haven't played the game. (Me. I haven't played the game.)


THE COMPOSER(S): YASUNORI MITSUDA, NOBUO UEMATSU

Yasunori was just a sound guy, and he decided he needed to be moving up in the world. So he gave an ultimatum that he needed to compose or he was gone -- and he was assigned as the composer for Chrono Trigger. Clearly this was the smartest thing he ever did -- but not to be a flash in the pan, he is also known for his work on Xenogears, Inazuma, and Shadow Hearts.

As for Nobuo, we have already discussed his awesomeness when I wrote about the soundtrack for Final Fantasy VI. From what I've read, he only did the small portion of work for Chrono Cross because Yasunori contracted stomach ulcers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment