Saturday, February 13, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Final Fantasy XV

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Final Fantasy XV by Square Enix.



THE STATS

Name: Final Fantasy XV
Developer: Square Enix Business Division
Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: November 29, 2016
Genres: Action roleplaying
Composer(s): Yoko Shimomura



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

Somnus - Instrumental Version
(Length: 2:29) This is the main theme of XV, and you'll hear it on that main menu every time. It's deceptively relaxing.

Wanderlust
(Length: 5:51) The first minute and a half is very pretty flute, but I promise it picks up with some piano, guitar, drums and other instruments. 

Stand Your Ground
(Length: 3:29) I think this is the fastest-paced track I've included. It's clearly fight music and includes a very clear melodic line so you can enjoy it even if you're focused on your in-game fight.

Love Lost
(Length: 4:20) This track reminds me of something I'd hear as part of the Ouran High School Host Club anime or similar show. Emotion! Feels! Feel them! Queue up the emotional violin to be sure they feel it! Are you feeling it?!

ARDYN
(Length: 3:44) Ahhh, a great character track! I shared this track earlier in the week with my patrons because it's so catchy -- but it's only my second-favorite track. Ardyn Izunia is the villain of XV, but he's the type you love at the same time. He's manipulative, suave, patronizingly polite, and simply charming. It's no wonder he cozied his way into being the Chancellor for Niflheim!

The Aggressors
(Length: 3:40) This track comes in as my third favorite. I love all of the layers and how they work together to create something so epic in tone. The piano and strings are downplayed beautifully, never getting too loud or bright. They maintain a dull, persistent, push that helps lend to the theme of an aggressive enemy (in this case, the dauntless Niflheim armies).

What Lies Within
(Length: 5:27) The organ in this track helps make it sound especially sinister and foreboding. 

Bros on the Road
(Length: 3:28) That opening guitar is so 90's, and I love it! This is the rock road trip song we all needed but never knew.

Melancholia
(Length: 2:45) Remember how I love those flowing harmonic lines that carry a song forward? This one has that AND it's beautiful. It's just morose enough to match its title but still be pretty enough to feel hopeful? That's my take on it, anyway!

Disquiet
(Length: 2:12) The arpeggios in this harken me back to NES classics like Legend of Zelda, while the orchestral music and dance-y beat modernize it and add a whole new layer of catchiness. 

Song of the Stars
(Length: 3:37) I'm not sure what it is about this track that just screams "FINAL FANTASY," but it surely does. The airy vocals? The dramatic, orchestral chord progressions?

APOCALYPSIS AQUARIUS
(Length: 4:12) This one made the list because of the masterful mix of chorus, orchestra, and rock guitar. 

Tenebrae
(Length: 4:05) Ah, Tenebrae. This relaxing, pretty, and sad piece fits the land of the Oracles very well. 

Dewdrops at Dawn
(Length: 1:39) Sounds like the end of an emotional anime, doesn't it? Is it happy? Is it sad? You're not sure, but it's awfully pretty and full of feels. And ah, there -- there's the crystal theme at the end!

Bonus Tracks: Main Theme, Rodeo de Chocobo, Crystalline Chill, In the Light of the Crystal (these should all sound somewhat familiar to FF fans!)

Extra Special: Stand by Me (by Florence + The Machine!) ...which is my favorite track. You don't really need to ask why, do you? Here, maybe this video will help.



You can listen to all of these selected tracks in this entry and/or the full soundtrack on Spotify:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Because Final Fantasy music is ALWAYS worthwhile, for starters.

This is the first title in the series to come out on a current gen console that I had access to (I was late to the PS2 party), and my husband was really excited to introduce it to me. He got me the Royal Edition when it was released, and we watched the Kingsglaive movie together (and loved it). I haven't played very far in the game, but it's certainly on my gaming to-do list -- along with other projects relevant to the title. 

The OST has 96 tracks, not including the 3 singles from Florence + The Machine, so there's plenty to enjoy. Go do it!


THE COMPOSER(S): YOKO SHIMOMURA

I didn't know until I began working on this entry that I already liked Yoko's compositions. She's apparently THE composer for the entire Kingdom Hearts series, and has also done work for Street Fighter II, Super Mario RPG, Legend of Mana, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (among many, many others). But rewinding a little: Kingdom Hearts is a series I fell in love with on my own back in college when I was first expanding beyond my point-and-click adventure games. Knowing I'm still enjoying works by the same composer makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment