Saturday, March 6, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Nova Drift

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Nova Drift by Chimeric.



THE STATS

Name: Nova Drift
Developer: Chimeric
Publisher: Pixeljam
Release Date: March 27, 2019 (early access)
Genres: Action, indie
Composer: Miles Tilmann



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

You can listen to the entire soundtrack here, courtesy of a bandcamp widget, or you can click this link to go visit the bandcamp page directly, or if you prefer you can acquire it over here on Steam. I didn't feel like any one track stood out, so you may as well browse through them yourself!





WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Eh... I don't. Not this time. (Very sorry.) This is one of those OSTs where it seemed like it would be promising, but I'm just not feeling it. It's certainly good background sound for the game mechanics and style, but for me it isn't something I could just listen to on its own. It's a little too far out for me, but I'm sure there are electronic fans who can appreciate it. Possibly Blade Runner fans? Several of the tracks would be good for workouts, too.

Side note: I wanted to tag the developer on Twitter when posting about this entry, but... their account has been suspended. Their Facebook page hasn't had an update since last June. And the game has been in early access for almost 2 years. Edit: Publisher called me out on Twitter, so I've edited accordingly! (Thanks, Pixeljam! I like being kept accountable, and it shows me I'm being read!) I think Twitter was just being touchy when I was doing my research for the entry (you can follow the game on this Twitter account), and there have been updates for the game -- just not on Facebook! But I stand by the following advice, because it's still solid...) If you enjoy the music, I would definitely hit up bandcamp to purchase it since it's coming directly from the composer that way.


THE COMPOSER: MILES TILMANN

Here's another name you probably don't know. I didn't know it, anyway. As far as I can tell, he does music and sound for Pixeljam, but has released singles and albums in the past. It's very, very clear that he does electronic music 110%. Oh, and he also does drawings?

No comments:

Post a Comment