Saturday, May 22, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Secret of Evermore

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Secret of Evermore by SquareSoft.



THE STATS

Name: Secret of Evermore
Developer: SquareSoft

Publisher: Square

Release Date: October 1, 1995
Genres: Action role-playing
Composers: Jeremy Soule



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

02 - Variations of Castle
(Length: 3:15) The long lost work of Beethoven, perhaps? Whatever this is, I enjoy it immensely.

03 - The Secret of Evermore
(Length: 5:27) Looking past the fake saxophone, this is still a great track. Would it be phenomenal with real instruments? Yes. It might bring it out of its 80's-sounding groove. But it still sings of mystery, danger and adventure!

09 - The Queens
(Length: 1:58) Hear that moving line of notes beneath the melody? That's a weakness for me in music. I love that and the minor sound.

20 - White Castle Town
(Length: 3:08) Whoa, whoa, whoa... this sounds like a variation of The Mystic Forest by Nobuo Uematsu. (That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't make it sound very original.) This sounds less repetitive than Uematsu's, so it has its own merit and I'm happy to listen to it.

26 - Dog Maze
(Length: 2:13) Something about the elements in this track just bring me back to 80's/90's games in the best way possible. I love it. It is my favorite.


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

This OST is a little dated in sound, but you can hear how well the pieces are composed. It will bring you back to your childhood if you're in your mid-to-late 30's like myself. If you're younger, it'll just sound "retro," and you make me feel old whenever you say it. But anyway, this is a soundtrack you should listen to and enjoy. It clearly takes you on a journey through a variety of landscapes and events, and that's the best part of RPG music.

THE COMPOSER: JEREMY SOULE

Heyyyy, we're revisiting a composer again! This time, this is the FIRST video game project by Jeremy Soule, which makes it a great listen -- allowing us to compare it to his more recent work in Guild Wars 2 which I covered previously, as well as this very lengthy list:





If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment