Saturday, June 5, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: System Shock 2

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is System Shock 2 by Veewo Games.



THE STATS

Name: System Shock 2
Developer: Irrational Games & Looking Glass Studios

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Release Date: August 11, 1999
Genres: Action role-playing, first-person shooter, survival horror
Composers: Josh Randall (Robotkid), Ramin Djawadi, Eric Brosius



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)



You can listen to the individual tracks here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I don't know if I'm entirely sold on this one, friends. It definitely sounds like it came from a late 90's video game. It has a lot of synth sound mixed with frantic percussion in places, and while some bits of the OST sound like great ambiance... the rest sounds like a few effects shy of a rave. If you eat up retro sci-fi aesthetic, then this may be one of your favorites. 


THE COMPOSER(S)

JOSH RANDALL (ROBOTKID)
A former employee of Looking Glass Studios, Josh was also a creative director at Harmonix, the people behind Frequency, Amplitude, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and now Fuser. 

RAMIN DJAWADI
I didn't know this name until now, and I wish I had known it sooner! He's the German composer behind such epic titles as Iron Man, Game of Thrones, Pacific Rim, A Wrinkle in Time, Prison Break, Jack Ryan, Westworld, Medal of Honor, Gears of War 4, and Gears 5. He also did work behind the legendary Hans Zimmer. Commit this name to memory!

ERIC BROSIUS 
Another former employee of Looking Glass Studios, Eric has also done composition work for the Thief series and Guitar Hero. He is currently a member of the bands Eddie Japan and Dark Wheels.



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

1 comment:

  1. I will listen to them although you know I’m a fan of 60’s and 70’s(even 50’s with the great harmonies). I am not a fan of synthesized or electronic music, although I did like some of the 60’s and 70’s songs by groups such as Emerson, Lake & Palmer, especially Keith Emerson in “Lucky Man”. The Moog synthesizer became very popular with some groups then, although I remain a purist at heart.

    ReplyDelete