Saturday, September 18, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Path of Exile

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Path of Exile by Grinding Gear Games.



Note: This entry covers the original soundtrack and not any subsequent expansions. Also note, this is a game my husband loves to play and he suggested I write about its OST! There also isn't a lot written about the favorite tracks because I've had some health things going on. Even so, I hope you enjoy the selections and allow them to broaden your views of game music!
--snarkqueen

 

THE STATS

Name: Path of Exile
Developer: Grinding Gear Games

Publisher: Grinding Gear Games

Release Date: October 23, 2013
Genres: Action role-playing
Composer: Kamil Orman-Janowski


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 3:47) The opening of this immediately made me think of Rohan in Middle-earth, so I was sold. Then it did this wonderful thing where it seemed to transform into sound right out of The Witcher. 

(Length: 4:15) The piano in the beginning of this makes it sound like music from a movie trailer, doesn't it? But for me, the best part of this track is when the vocals join in around 2:46.

(Length: 1:38) Guitar and intense percussion? Yes. Elements also made me think of The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. (A compliment, I assure you.)

(Length: 2:34) I was reeled in by the guitar, but the percussive movement is right on point for engaging action. I'd add this to a drive mix for sure!

(Length: 2:31) The undercurrent of the guitar, mixed with the vocals and instrumental layers, makes this a very pretty track.

(Length: 2:47) The opening organ and drumstick clicks makes me think of something dark and sinister, and the transformations thereafter only bolster that feeling and flesh it out. This is an epic, dark track, and it's fantastic! Easily my favorite. Five stars. 10/10 would put on repeat.


You can listen to the full playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Before exploring it on my own, I heard plenty of this music while my husband was playing the game. It's solid composition and glorious sound. It is both epic and evocative. You can easily add some of the tracks to your ambient background playlist for tabletop RPGs, and others can safely be inserted into your drive mix or exercise playlist. It's an all-around phenomenal soundtrack, and you should probably check out the music from the expansions while you're at it!


THE COMPOSER

Kamil Orman-Janowski: A Polish composer who relocated to New Zealand and is the in-house composer for Grinding Gear Games. His website (linked at the top) lists all of his works and projects.



If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on SoundCloud:



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment