Saturday, May 14, 2022

Soundtrack Saturday: Unbound - Worlds Apart

   

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Unbound: Worlds Apart by Alien Pixel Studios.

THE STATS

Name: Unbound: Worlds Apart
Developer: Alien Pixel Studios

Publisher: Alien Pixel Studios

Release Date: July 28, 2021
Genres: Adventure, indie
Composer: Alexey Nechaev



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 1:54) Music box? Yes. I'm here for it. Followed by epic, orchestral themes? Double yes. I like the promise of this early track, suggesting a LOT more to come in both the game and OST.

(Length: 1:36) Tragic piano? Check. This reminds me of something I heard before, but I can't put my finger on it. Possibly the time travel music from Ecco the Dolphin: Tides of Time? It's beautiful either way.

(Length: 2:09) I almost feel like I'm listening to George Winston! The piano in this track has a mind of its own and a distinct "singing voice." 

(Length: 2:05) I don't know what's best about this track -- the strings, the percussion, the chord progression, or how it sounds like Halloween. This is my favorite by far!

(Length: 2:17) There's definitely a climax here. While this may sound like a messy mash-up of things, I can hear conflict and intensity that's well-framed and woven together!



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

It's dark, mysterious, foreboding, and hauntingly beautiful. There's always something to be said for the small composers who do musical work for indie titles. Don't sleep on this one if you're a fan of other indies like Hollow Knight, Inmost, Frostpunk, or some of the older PS2-era RPGs. You can hear all of those elements and more in this OST!


THE COMPOSER

I haven't mentioned this composer before, but I have written about another game he has composed for! I'm talking about Alexey Nechaev, who in addition to this OST was also the composer for Inmost. (Yeah, that's why I mentioned it above. It was a gimme.) I really don't know much else about him, but have decided to follow him on Twitter so I don't miss anything else coming down the pipeline!



If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on Bandcamp or on Steam







If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment