Friday, May 22, 2020

Sherlock Holmes Day: Detective & Puzzle Game Recommendations


May 22nd is Sherlock Holmes Day, and in honor of such a day I felt I needed to tap into the wealth of games that exist to make you use your brain. Here are some detective and puzzle games recommendations!


"You will not apply my precept," he said, shaking his head. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door, the window, or the chimney. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room, as there is no concealment possible. When, then, did he come?"
          -Sherlock Holmes, The Sign of the Four

You're here, of course, because you are either a fan of Sherlock Holmes or interested in some puzzle game recommendations. That is my not-so-brilliant deduction, anyway! I won't bore you with personal details in this entry aside from saying that I own all of these games. Now I'll get straight to the recommendations... in alphabetical order so you don't think I'm being biased.


Aviary Attorney

Both silly fun and a tough detective game! Your skills at finding clues and getting answers determines the outcome of each case -- and you might be wrong!


Blackwell Deception

I honestly haven't played this one yet, despite having had it for a long time. It's constantly recommended to me, though -- so that should say something!


Contrast

I have to recommend this one both because it is fun and because there's a special Steam achievement to celebrate Extra Life. 


Draugen

I started to play this on my previous computer, and it simply couldn't handle the game. I have it installed on this new PC, and the graphics are downright gorgeous... but the story is a bit on the spooky side and made me jumpy! I've held off playing more of it until I can safely do so during the daytime.


Murdered: Soul Suspect

I remember wanting this SO BADLY when it first came out. When I finally got it a while later, on a deep discount, I was busy with other games and simply haven't had a chance to get back to it. There's just something intriguing about solving your own murder!


The Raven

I played this before the Remastered version came out. It may seem like a simple adventure game where you talk and figure things out, but it really makes you use your brain! I admit to getting stuck a few times!


The Sexy Brutale

I've mentioned this game in Gamer Reverie before. This puzzle-solving game involves time travel and manipulating time to solve the murders. It's difficult, but fun!


Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

I was so excited when this was dropped in my lap via a Humble Monthly after I had wanted it for a while. I haven't played it yet, but I'm told it's the best (if not the only good one) in the series.


Trials of Harmony

I played this for the Extra Life marathon this past year. It's experimental in that you are experiencing the visual novel through conversations held on a cell phone. That is how you communicate with others and experience the death games you've been forced to endure. I recommend this for fans of darker visual novels and movies like Escape Room.


The Wolf Among Us

This is another title I've played for the Extra Life marathon. Being a Telltale game, it is great quality, and its reputation precedes it. You're the Big Bad Wolf and you have to keep other Fables safe by solving a murder. This is a combination of detective work and puzzle solving along with fast-paced action! (I was a little slow on the uptake a couple times and had to restart.)




Want to find some other great games like these? Here's a handy link to searching through the Steam store catalog for the 'detective' tag.


No comments:

Post a Comment