Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Meet The Team: Intelligence Modifiers


Some of my teammates are going to cringe when they realize I've posted this in my blog, but I think it's important for the people following our cause to know that I didn't just recruit any ol' person who wanted to be cool by signing up and then doing nothing. On the contrary -- I recruited people I felt confident were going to make an honest effort at both raising awareness for Extra Life and raising funds for the sick kids at our hospitals.

☙     

Silver Dragon
1st Year
Team Helmsman
Silver Dragon is my friend Robert, and probably one of the best friends I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He is also the team mate I have known the longest. We first became acquainted when we were teenagers -- fighting the good fight in AOL chat rooms. He is now a happy and proud husband and father living in Georgia, and what better way to play games and support a relevant cause than to participate in Extra Life? You can watch him stream on his Twitch channel.


Black Koi
1st Year
Team Surgeon
Black Koi is this roleplaying guy named Sean whom I really haven't known all that long. What I DO know about him is that he's wildly funny, loves a good story, and is immensely supportive of his friends' endeavors. I know he's also very busy with school and a relationship, so I haven't pestered him too much about keeping up with the rest of the team. (If you're reading this, Sean, drop me a line? Thanks.) I met him in the game RIFT last summer, and I miss getting to talk with him and other guild members like we used to. Real life likes to get in the way!

Purple Squirrel
1st Year
Team Boatswain
Purple Squirrel is my friend Lyrak, who is (to my knowledge) the most creatively diverse member of the team. We met in a quasi-roleplay dream in Furcadia about fourteen years ago, where I made many other friends over time. She was the person to convince me to give Second Life a try, though she and I have mostly kept in touch through LiveJournal and Facebook since then. She is artistic, sarcastic, nerdy, and an all around great person who is always at war with the weather in Ohio where she lives. You can follow her efforts in her Skyrim blog.

Blue Wolf
1st Year
Team Navigator
Blue Wolf is my friend Kris. I've known him for about nine years, though there was a decent-sized gap in the middle where I didn't really know how he was or what he was doing. We originally got to know each other through a convention-sponsored sim in Second Life, and I've always admired his devotion to music and creativity. He is a music teacher in Colorado these days, and I don't think his favorite game has ever NOT been a Zelda title. You can watch him stream on his Twitch channel.

Green Owl
1st Year
Team Lieutenant
Green Owl is a friend of mine who goes by the nickname Reset. He was one of those crazy space pirate roleplayers I became acquainted with about nine years ago. Being from Spain, his English wasn't very good at first, but he picked things up very quickly over the years and I'm proud of how much better his English has become as a result. He loves his wife, a good indie game, and is also a fan of science, astronomy, cats, rock music, and Cthulhu. He's sort of new to it, but you can watch him stream on his Twitch channel.
 
Gold Deer
5th Year
Team Captain
Gold Deer is me! I had wanted to use a hoofed mythological creature for my mascot since most of my non-game internet friends associate me with kirins or unicorns. That's when I turned to Greek mythology and recalled The Golden Hind. Well, as it turns out, this was also the name of a famous ship known for privateering. It was the perfect choice and helped flesh out our spectrum for the Mascots. You can follow my blog entries here because I live in Mississippi and internet here is a joke. (For real. Fourth slowest state of the fifty.)

Orange Lizard
1st Year
Team Striker
Orange Lizard is another Second Life acquaintance -- he's also all about dragons, but Rob beat him to the punch for that particular Mascot. Most people in SL know him as Lit, but I also know him as Carlos. During my last few years of Extra Life, Carlos has been a staunch supporter and donor. He's also the team member in the lead for donations this year! You can watch him stream on his Twitch channel.



Red Tiger
3rd Year
Team Gunner
Red Tiger is one of my best friends. I have known Brionne for nine years and we tried to date seriously for a few of the years in between. Known for his robot avatars and love of Transformers, this Nebraskan makes many Second Life people jealous when they see what he is capable of building. He pays close attention to detail, and is many times better at action games than I will ever be. He doesn't stream, but you can follow his game playing through his Steam profile.


Pink Aardvark
1st Year
Team Goofball
Pink (Polka-dotted) Aardvark is my husband, Steven. You probably won't see or hear much from him this year, but he wanted to be supportive of my charity efforts. He said if I made him a pink polka-dotted aardvark mascot picture that he would sign up. It was a deal. He DOES play several games on his PS4, but only has Linux on his laptop. To support this, I might post a blog article for him about one of his games. Since he's a busy man with multiple jobs, it's not very likely.


Brown Bear
1st Year
Team Cabin Boy
Brown Bear is another one of those space pirate roleplayers, but also one of my LOTRO friends. He gifted the Riders of Rohan expansion to me when it came out and I couldn't have been more grateful! I've recently introduced him to my secondary kinship on Landroval, and I'm hoping we can show him all the awesomeness in the game that comes after Moria -- he hasn't reached the light on the other side yet. You can watch him stream on his Twitch channel.



Is this not the most amazing group of gamers this side of the galaxy? Well, perhaps not, but they're all wonderful people and I'm glad they're on my team. You'll hear more about their endeavors throughout the year, and more about our competition with each other: Mascot Mayhem. If you want to see the full team bios, you can visit our team Extra Life page: +INT [Intelligence Modifiers]

Please consider supporting our efforts to help sick kids in need: visit Extra Life to donate, and/or share this blog with others so we can be heroes #ForTheKids.

No comments:

Post a Comment