Thursday, August 1, 2019

Building a New PC, Part 2


This is the part where I share badly-taken pictures of my components.


It took a little extra time for everything to arrive at my doorstep because of a bad pick/sort on behalf of the USPS and the ensuing rerouting of one item. I did not pull the components out of their packaging for pictures because I didn't want to risk compromising anything before I'm ready to put it all together. So, some pictures are just product pictures from the internet.


AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor




XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy - 1580MHz, OC+, 8GB




Patriot Elite VIPER 4 16GB Series 3000MHz




Seagate BarraCuda 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 1TB




Kingston 240GB A400 SSD




EVGA 550W Bronze Fully Modular PSU




MSI Performance Gaming B450M PRO M2 Micro-ATX Motherboard




Cougar MX330 Mid Tower Case






The side of the tower is glass, so the processor's LED cooler is going to look awesome. I've never had a computer with glowy parts before! The lower portion of the tower has a cover that hides the power supply, and the front/top panels allow for the installment of additional fans. I have ordered an optical drive as well, but it won't arrive until next week (Why, Amazon? It's Prime!).

The plan goes something along the lines of my husband and I watching some how-to videos tonight to make sure we're on the same page and ready to do this. He has taught actual classes on how to build a computer, but not put one together himself. I have been in sponge mode the last few weeks, making sure I know what to do to the best of my intellectual ability. Tomorrow night is when we plan to piece it all together. If we are successful, we will see the motherboard's BIOS when we start it up and can then proceed to install Windows 10 Education.

From there, I can use a flash drive to transfer some Steam files (after installing Steam, of course), and I'll be ready to play games to my heart's content. When the optical drive shows up, it will be an easy additional installation and then I'll be able to play my games that are on CD and DVD. There is also a hard drive dock on the way so I can safely, easily, and leisurely retrieve the files on my old hard drive (and maybe organize them like they deserve to be!) -- and then use that hard drive as a good back-up location.

One of the things I will enjoy doing is playing an assortment of games to get a feel for the new PC's limits and to bask in the 9-years-newer performance. Games I will transfer over from my old hard drive or had my husband download for me:


What games would you run on a new computer? Which components would you change out for something different? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment