Saturday, February 26, 2022

Soundtrack Saturday: Destiny 2 - The Witch Queen

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Destiny 2: The Witch Queen by Bungie.


THE STATS

Name: Destiny 2: The Witch Queen
Developer: Bungie

Publisher: Bungie

Release Date: February 22, 2022
Genres: Action role-playing, first person shooter
Composers: Michael Salvatori, Skye Lewin, Josh Mosser, Michael Sechrist, Rotem Moav, Pieter Schlosser



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 3:16) Something about this track makes me think of a pirate theme and is reminiscent of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies somehow. The theme returns in the Threshold track as an undercurrent.

(Length: 2:42) This track reminds me of another track from another game, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Possibly the main theme from my beloved Van Helsing games. But it's a lighter orchestral sound than the bulk of the OST, so I felt it worth sharing. 

(Length: 3:01) For me, the best part of this track is the piano. There's an emotional element that's supported by the orchestra throughout, and it makes me think of what Linkin Park would sound like if the band was a full orchestra.

(Length: 3:35) This track has a fraction of the likes on YouTube compared to other tracks, and I know that's probably because it's a hard listen -- it's technical in a lot of ways, and that skilled balance of sounds and rhythms produces exactly the kind of sound to match the title. For musicians, this is a fun track to listen to and dissect the many layers that are working together. This belongs on a Halloween playlist.

(Length: 3:04) The turrets from Portal 2 made this track after playing Frostpunk, and you can't convince me otherwise. This is easily my favorite! The industrial-like digital distortions really flavor the track in a gritty, amazing way. The build-up of layers in a round is awesome to get lost in also!

(Length: 3:05) Maybe it's the title messing with my mind, but I'm getting Batman outro vibes. There's a heroic element, but also that perpetual tone of conflict and struggle. I love the strings in this and how they play with the brass.

(Length: 4:21) This track needs more love on YouTube. It's haunting, the piano is phenomenal, and the distortions add that perfect edgy element to the track. The syncopation reminds me of some of the better musical phrases from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Try to tell me you don't hear it as you listen to this track. It's endeared it to me a great deal.

(Length: 4:03) This track had more than double the likes on it, and with good reason! It's intense, it's epic! It is full tilt the whole way through! 



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I know this isn't a title you'd expect to see in my blog, and it definitely wasn't planned in advance. My husband got back into Destiny 2 because of our move and acquisition of better internet, and he dove head first into the new expansion. Since we share the living room, I obviously noticed the music and decided to listen to it on my own time. I loved it, and I wanted others to take note of it as well! This OST and artwork are available in the Deluxe version of the game. While some writers for big name game news sites think this means the Deluxe version is "rubbish" because it doesn't include anything of value -- to them -- my ears tell me otherwise!



If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on Bungie's store 



No comments:

Post a Comment