Saturday, May 7, 2022

Soundtrack Saturday: Dragon Age Inquisition

  


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Dragon Age Inquisition by BioWare.


THE STATS

Name: Dragon Age Inquisition
Developer: BioWare

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Release Date: November 18, 2014
Genres: Action RPG
Composer: Trevor Morris



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 3:35) The cello in the opening is what grabbed me, but the entire piece is moving and gives off a sense of intrigue or mystery. It also reminds me of the Van Helsing soundtracks, which I adore.

(Length: 2:44) You can tell this is the song for an upper-crust nation by the tonality, and it honestly reminds me a little of the Downton Abbey theme song. Drama, story, opulence!

(Length: 1:33) Not a very long track, it's still very powerful and EPIC. 

(Length: 3:14) Now it sounds like we're in The Witcher universe, with some creepy sounds and epic percussion. Definitely my favorite from this OST!

(Length: 1:10) Another short track, but poignant. The opening chords almost make me think of a Phil Collins song before it becomes more cinematic in tone. It carries the heaviness of deeds done, and the tranquility that comes with finality, but also the promise of a story that continues.



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Look, have you ever played one of the Dragon Age games? Or at least watched a trailer for one? The games are phenomenal and known for their storytelling, characters, and gameplay. They really chose a great composer to deliver the music for this installment and it shouldn't take you very long in the linked playlist to agree with me. Fans of fantasy, RPG soundtracks, or simply epic orchestral work will all love this OST.


THE COMPOSER

Like a lot of composers, you may not know Trevor Morris by name but you probably know a lot of his music. He has worked on titles such as Castlevania, Vikings, London Has Fallen, The Tudors, Gotham, The Borgias, and The Pillars of the Earth. He maintains a dual citizenship of Canada and Great Britain, but according to his website lives in Los Angeles. I'll forgive him for that because he's now also conducting adaptations of his work in live performances -- something that is always a joy to watch and listen to!



If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on Amazon



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!


No comments:

Post a Comment