Saturday, May 21, 2022

Soundtrack Saturday: The Forgotten City

    

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is The Forgotten City by Modern Storyteller.

THE STATS

Name: The Forgotten City
Developer: Modern Storyteller

Publisher: Dear Villagers

Release Date: July 28, 2021
Genres: Adventure, indie, RPG
Composer: Michael Allen



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

Note: All tracks are in the same YouTube video, so the title links are to the appropriate timestamps.

(Length: 0:55) I'm a sucker for arpeggios. This one's my favorite just because of that, even though it's so short.

(Length: 3:01) The vocals in the opening of this make me think of The Lord of the Rings movies' soundtracks, and that's an extremely high compliment from me! 

(Length: 2:42) This track brings me back to something a little more primal in sound, like The Banner Saga or The Witcher. 

(Length: 2:32) This sounds like it came straight from Pyre, both in title and sound.

(Length: 3:36) As far as ending themes go, this one is pretty relaxing. It's very pastoral and makes me think of Tolkien's Shire full of green hills and simple living.


You can listen to the full soundtrack here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Alright, so this is not the kind of album you can queue up and listen to on a whim. It's very cinematic and atmospheric in a lot of ways. It's the kind of music you can have on in the background as you play a tabletop game or are painting your minis. Maybe even while writing your next fantasy novel. But for what it is, it's VERY well done and musicians can appreciate some of the finer details. 


THE COMPOSER

We last mentioned Michael Allen in the Soundtrack Saturday entry about Armello! There's a great list of film, tv and game titles which Michael has contributed to, so it's no surprise that this mod-turned-full-game was put in his hands.


If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on Steam or on Amazon:





If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment