Saturday, July 31, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: RiME



In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is RiME by Tequila Works.



THE STATS

Name: RiME
Developer: Tequila Works

Publisher: Grey Box, Six Foot

Release Date: May 26, 2017
Genres: Adventure
Composers: David García Díaz



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

(Length: 3:22) Does this not scream "epic panoramic of a beautiful, mysterious island ripe for adventure"? I think it does. At the very least, it sounds like the perfect track for a trailer.

(Length: 1:25) This one is here because I can hear similarities to music from Child of Light, which is another game and soundtrack I love dearly. <3 (It also kinda has similarities to Titanic's "Hymn to the Sea"? Go listen for yourself, I swear I'm not crazy!)

(Length: 3:25) I get so many George Winston vibes from this track because of the piano, and I love it. It's soothing and mysterious all at once. 

(Length: 1:42) Here for that moving piano line and the sampling across the various other instruments, all as a background for that poignant violin.

(Length: 1:17) I'm here... for the waltz time signature. I haven't played the game, but this sounds like a great end-scene/end-credits theme. It's both a little melancholy and a little uplifting... and pulls in that overarching theme of epic mystery and adventure. It's a lot to do in a track barely more than a minute long!


You can listen to the full playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I don't know why I didn't cover this soundtrack sooner. Wow, guys. It is PHENOMENAL.

If you love epic, orchestral soundtracks with a healthy dose of classical piano -- this is a must listen! I usually listen to soundtracks very actively and mindfully, taking one track in at a time. This time? I got swept away with the music and before I knew it 10 tracks had gone by! 

I hear a lot of themes and motifs that are similar to those found in other game OSTs I adore, and that isn't a bad thing in the slightest. This OST really sings through all of the instruments! If I'm being honest, I have even more string envy than usual because of how well they are composed for in this OST. (Why ever did I start playing saxophone 30 years ago?)


THE COMPOSER: DAVID GARCÍA DÍAZ

David is clearly someone passionate about music, games, and the expression therein. His portfolio includes other greats like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Deadlight (and a lesser known but still-close-to-my-gaming-heart Circuits).

Located in Cambridge, UK, David currently works for Ninja Theory as Lead Sound Designer, and from the sound of this OST it's exactly where he needs to be. I look forward to their future works to see (and hear) his contributions.


If you like what you heard here, you can listen to/purchase the soundtrack on Amazon, Apple, Spotify, and Steam. Here's a handy widget for the OST on Steam:



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment