Monday, January 8, 2024

Make-It Monday: Crochet, Part 1

In this new blog series I'll be wandering off the path a little to explore creative ventures -- some related to gaming, some not! Topics range across the spectrum of cooking, crafts, writing, ranking, drawing and more. This entry's focus is Crochet.


    Sometime back in the late 90's when I was in high school, my stepmom showed me how to crochet a simple design. I tinkered with it a little bit with some lovely olive-colored yarn, but eventually set it aside. I was a teenager, after all, and had more important things to do with my time.

    A few years later, when I was a freshman in college, my long-distance boyfriend was going to visit for Christmas. Being a very broke college student, I set about re-learning that crochet pattern and turning the olive yarn into a respectable scarf. He was a Floridian visiting Vermont, after all, and it seemed like a thoughtful gift. Less than a year later it was returned to me when he left me for a younger girl, and I told myself then that I would never crochet again.

    Fast forward to me being married and wandering through Walmart with my husband in 2017. He decides on one of his inspired whims to learn how to knit. I mention having crocheted before and he insists we both get a starter kit. So we do. It fell by the wayside because we had other priorities. 

   
So here we are again, 7 years later. I'm going to do it this year. I'm going to learn to crochet. Again. I have been wanting to since sometime last year when my husband, on another whim, bought me one of those Woobles kits because it was a dinosaur and it made him think of me.


    I'm going to start with Fred the Dinosaur, but I want to move on to other projects. I want to make blankets and amigurumi (stuffed yarn creatures). If you knit or crochet, I welcome your advice on tools, yarn, and resources! Since my Extra Life theme this year is Creativity, it would be amazing if I could offer handmade items as community incentives. 

    I'm excited to take you on this journey with me and make this a staple of the Make-It Monday series! If you're curious about the Woobles kits, just follow this link. (Definitely not a sponsor, but you can be one by following the link below!) 



No comments:

Post a Comment