Saturday, January 6, 2024

Soundtrack Saturday: Stray

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Stray by BlueTwelve Studio.

THE STATS

Name: Stray
Developer: BlueTwelve Studio

Publisher: Annapurna Interactive
Release Date: July 19, 2022
Genres: Adventure, indie
Composer: Yann van der Cruyssen


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 


The Notebooks
(Length: 3:43) This track reminds me of shishi odoshi (the bamboo spouts used to scare deer and boar way from plants in Japanese gardens--but with added personality that suits the environment of the game.

Secret Lab
(Length: 2:13) My favorite! This reminds me of a fantastic mixture of tracks from somaFM combined with Final Fantasy and 90's adventure games. It's delightful and whimsical while retaining an ominous tone!

Raft
(Length: 3:16) Suddenly I feel like I'm in a JRPG game! It takes some of the same elements I liked in the Secret Lab track and then molds it around a solid theme. This is my second-favorite.

Rikonium
(Length: 3:14) This sounds like it was inspired by the Portal 2 soundtrack. I hear elements of 9999999 and ambience from the old parts of the Aperture lab. It's a great vibe!

Daybreak
(Length: 7:07) Once past the initial opening, it has that perpetual wind chime/hand bell quality that is enjoyable to listen to... supplemented with what sounds like a 90's adventure game groove.


You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    This is a delightfully strange soundtrack, but great to zone out to. If you enjoy music like what you'd hear on somaFM but with some more digital noise to it, then you might enjoy queuing this up while you work. There are no lyrics to distract you, just rhythms and melodies. 

THE COMPOSER

     Also known for his work on Cave Story, I think his website explains enough about how eclectic Yann is as an individual: nurykabe.com


No comments:

Post a Comment