Saturday, February 3, 2024

Soundtrack Saturday: Assassin's Creed Valhalla


On Soundtrack Saturdays I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Assassin's Creed Valhalla by Ubisoft Montreal.

THE STATS

Name: Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal

Publisher: Ubisoft
Release Date: August 3, 2023
Genres: Adventure, RPG, Strategy
Composer: Jesper Kyd, Sarah Schachner, Einar Selvik


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

Out of the North (Jesper Kyd)
(Length: 3:47) If I had to call any of the tracks on this OST a ballad, it's this one. I haven't played the game (yet!), but this track just... calls to me.

Kingdom of Wessex (Jesper Kyd)
(Length: 3:41) The time signature snagged me on this one. It sounds like 9/8, or some derivative of it, and I love that kind of rhythm--it always flows and carries the melody forward.

"Reddened spears and bloody shields, tar-soaked oars and foam-flecked sails..."
(Length: 5:20) Feel free to look up the lyrics for this one. It's a battle hymn!

Frozen Lands (Sarah Schachner)
(Length: 3:59) This is a tranquil track to zone out to, especially if you imagine snowy landscapes. 

"There before the setting sun, we will make a loud clashing of spears..."
(Length: 4:43) I love the tribal element throughout this track. It keeps a steady rhythm and backdrop for what's being conveyed in the words.



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    It might have been easier to list the tracks I didn't like. There were dozens more that I wanted to include above, but at that rate... you may as well go listen to the whole OST on your own! If you're a fan of anything of the Viking genre, or Nordic music... you're going to love this OST. It's going in my own rotation of music as something to listen to when I'm working on stuff!

THE COMPOSER(S)

    Okay, so we all know Jesper by now, right? (If not, do you even game, bro?) In any case, I'm going to link to some info for each composer! I don't always agree with the choices that Ubisoft makes, but I think having a balance of three composers of different nationalities (Danish, American, and Norwegian) really added to the blend of audio "flavors" in this OST. It is delightful to hear and experience! While Jesper and Sarah aren't new to the AC franchise, Einar was a new addition -- and he produced soundtrack work for the Vikings series (legit street cred).

    

No comments:

Post a Comment