Saturday, March 7, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Guild Wars 2


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Guild Wars 2 by Jeremy Soule.




THE STATS

Name: Guild Wars 2
Developer: ArenaNet
Publisher: NCSOFT
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Genres: MMORPG
Composer(s): Jeremy Soule


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

Note: There are more tracks in this entry because of how simply massive the GW2 soundtrack is (and I didn't even go through the music from the two expansions). I picked tracks that I enjoyed the most or reminded me of my time playing the game, so I encourage you to check out the full playlist via the link below to discover some ear candy of your own!


Bear's Spirit
(Length: 4:25) This is about the best introduction to the "sound" of the world as I can offer. But then again, my first character was a Norn.

Call of the Raven
(Length: 2:53) A well-composed piece sticks in your mind and is easy to hum along to. This track is exactly that. The flowing melody across different instruments is a dream to listen to.

The Sea of Sorrows
(Length: 2:24) Lilting and melancholy, I could listen to this track all day.

Tyria Awaits
(Length: 3:02) This one sounds very similar to Portal 2's Music of the Spheres, only more delicate and orchestral in contrast to the necessary digital-sounding other track.

Journey Through Caledon
(Length: 2:11) Anyone who's played the game ought to be thinking of the Sylvari when they hear this, and lots of plants and growing things.

Hope Falls
(Length: 2:36) As one YouTube commenter says, this piece is a reminder of Tybalt Leftpaw if you play the Order of Whispers storyline -- the best Charr ever. It's certainly a sad track, but beautifully composed.

Of Tides and Quaggan
(Length: 2:11) Purely magical in sound, you could easily mistake this as part of the Harry Potter soundtracks -- oh wait, Jeremy did work on the Harry Potter PC games. So I guess he knows what magical sounds like. Now he's put it underwater with the Quaggans.

Sparkfly Fen
(Length: 3:27) Mysterious and almost magical, much like the marsh and swamp areas this music plays in.

Fear Not This Night (ft. Asja Kadrić)
(Length: 5:01) "Awaken from a quiet sleep. Hear the whispering of the wind..."
I'd actually not heard this track before and WOW. I adore this so much! There is also a piano version, and an instrumental version. Take your pick!

Rebuilding of Lion's Arch
(Length: 2:53) GW2 has a Living World (previously Story) in which the players actually influence what happens in the game world. One of the things that has happened as part of this story was the destruction of Lion's Arch. It has since been rebuilt and that first part of the story is no longer playable, so there is a jarring discrepancy with some of the older scenes you may play through as part of your character story (I almost got lost in one because it was so different!). So for people who remember the original Lion's Arch, this track hits home. It sings of nostalgia.

The Nightmare Court
(Length: 2:37) Who doesn't love a dark-themed piece starting with the haunting notes of a single oboe? Anyone? In the game, the Nightmare Court consists of the Sylvari who are corrupt and twisted, rejecting the morals given to their race by the Pale Tree. This track definitely sounds like a good backdrop for those who are rejecting all that is good in themselves and wish to corrupt the good around them.

(Length: 2:44) This is apparently a redone track from the first Guild Wars game. I love it to pieces and am glad it returned! It's light, adventurous, and promises magical things. Everything you could want in the soundtrack of an MMO.


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube: 




WHY I RECOMMEND IT

Chances are if you play MMOs or fantasy games in general, you have actually played Guild Wars 2 or heard some of the music. If not, I highly encourage you to listen to the tracks I shared above or peruse the full playlist on your own. There is no denying the quality of this soundtrack and how beautifully it reflects the expansive game world and its history. This is a soundtrack you can play in the background while rolling your d20 or writing your NaNoWriMo novel.


THE COMPOSER: JEREMY SOULE

There is no denying the talent of Jeremy Soule, even if you haven't heard his name before. He's known mostly for his work in video game music and has been described as the "John Williams of video game music." (If you don't know who John Williams is, I'll keep it brief: Star Wars, Schindler's List, Superman, E.T., Indiana Jones, Home Alone, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter. Yep, that guy.)

Jeremy is best known for his work in The Elder Scrolls and Guild Wars series, but has also rocked out soundtracks for Total Annihilation, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Harry Potter.

During my research, I discovered he also did the music for the game Consortium, a game I have played because a friend of mine helped make it. (Mind. Blown.) I'm going to have to re-play the game now and pay closer attention to the music, I think. And since when was there a sequel?!

I think I've made my point, though: dude's got talent in spades.






Fylgja Lostigr • Asphodela Lyr
Moira Tavor • Seda Ashreaver • Priya Tavor

Fear not this night. You will not go astray.
Though shadows fall, still the stars find their way.

You still owe me that apple cider, Tybalt.

No comments:

Post a Comment