Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Wishlist Wednesday: Sometimes Always Monsters


In this weekly feature, I share game titles from my various gaming wishlists. I share screenshots and video from the developer, talk about my expectations, and generally just ramble about why the title made it onto my list in the first place. This week's choice is Sometimes Always Monsters by Vagabond Dog.



THE STATS

Name: Sometimes Always Monsters
Developer: Vagabond Dog
Publisher: Vagabond Dog
Release Date: April 2, 2020
Genres: Indie, RPG
Wishlist Location: Steam


MEDIA FROM VAGABONDDOG.COM










(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)



WHY I WANT IT

I've been waiting for this game since 2014!

I played the first game, Always Sometimes Monsters, TWICE for Extra Life marathons. In the first game, you're brought down really low and you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything to get by. Decisions are made, and they're difficult. I loved that it wasn't easy, and the situation was so realistic and the characters all had their own set of issues to deal with. You could make different choices every time you played and have different results. How many other games have you sleep on a questionable mattress in an alley because you've been locked out for not being able to pay your rent?

This sequel lets you pick up from where you left off in the first game by importing your save files! This game begins with you having become successful, but there's a plot to bring you down and smear your name. It's all about how you play and interact with the characters, and like in the first game, you can play it how you want to!

Additionally, going back to the characters, there is so much depth hidden in these games. You can be cavalier about your choices, or you can contemplate them seriously and try to carefully construct your chosen path. I am so excited to find out how they've mapped out the options in this game!

But the real question is... do I want Oscar (from my original play through) to be my protagonist? Or do I want to start fresh with no save data as a foundation? Hmm...




Payday is Friday, and I'm pretty sure I'll be pre-ordering the game to save 25% ($5)! You can do the same on their website.



If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment