Saturday, September 26, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Momodora - Reverie Under the Moonlight


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight by Bombservice.




THE STATS

Developer: Bombservice
Publisher: Playism
Release Date: March 4, 2016
Genres: Action, Adventure, Indie
Composer: nK


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


Fragmented Majesty ~ Royal Pinecotheca
(Length: 2:26) This track has a rolling theme that starts with the piano in the beginning, with the various other elements adding broad tones to the chord progression. It's a very bittersweet track.

Alone
(Length: 1:13) This one's only here because it sounds like it came directly from one of my favorite anime series, Scrapped Princess. 

Hallowed Ground ~ Sacred Ordalia Grove
(Length: 2:00) The simple, calm composition of this track reflects the "sacred" aspect very well. I'm not sure I would have gone with the deeper bass tones at the :45 mark, though. I'd have gone with deep-toned strings (or a similar effect) to match the tone at 1:25 a little more seamlessly.

Alabaster
(Length: 3:51) The sustained strings and long pauses between piano notes lend an incredible amount of suspense to the opening, pulling a listener directly into the moving piano melody at :48. It gives a sense of delicacy which pairs well with the idea of "alabaster" which is a translucent mineral with fine grains.

(Length: 2:24) This one only makes my cut because of the bass strings in the beginning reminding me of parts of the Eternal Poison soundtrack. Overall, it isn't a bad piece, but I don't think it's as good as the other four I shared above.


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:





WHY I RECOMMEND IT

I played the early part of this game a couple years ago for my Extra Life marathon. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking since it's a platformer. It was really difficult, but I enjoyed the game's atmosphere and music a great deal. I struggled a lot, so I wasn't able to unearth much of the story. Thankfully, I have Google for that. You can safely play this game without having touched earlier games in the Momodora series because this one is a prequel, set 400 years before the events of Momodora I. Aside from that, the music really does set a great tone for the game. If you enjoy it, you should give the game a try!


THE COMPOSER: nK

Yeah, that's really all I have to go on. This person who goes by nK (notoriousKnave) is the one credited for the composition of this music, and that of the game Minoria. I can't even dig more information out of the game developer's Patreon because they've closed it. Their website isn't very forthcoming either. Their Twitter is more forward-focused (and I'm super okay with that -- it means they're not dwelling on past projects like some other developers!). 

So, um... rdein? If you read this, will you enlighten me about nK?

I'm sorry I don't have more to offer than that! The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the music is spot-on and one of the elements of the game that has made it a success. Enjoy the music, and maybe nK will grace us with more in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment