Saturday, December 28, 2019

Soundtrack Saturday: Eternal Poison


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Eternal Poison by Flight-Plan.



THE STATS

Name: Eternal Poison (JP: Poison Pink)
Developer: Flight-Plan, Artpresto, Brain-Navi
Publisher: Atlus USA (JP: Banpresto)
Release Date: November 11, 2008 (NA)
Genres: Tactical Roleplaying
Composer(s): Takashi Okamoto, Yuki Nakagawa, Kazuma Katagiri, Yuichiro Sato, Yuta Okamoto


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


  • Stolen Princess
    Title screen theme. Yes, that is an intense operatic vocal there. No, that isn't what the entire soundtrack is like, so if it isn't your cup of tea... feel free to keep moving. I feel this piece sets the tone for the game's style, though -- a dark fantasy RPG which calls itself a gothic fairytale on the PS2 case.
  • Deception
    This is a beautiful string ensemble piece. I don't think I have to say anything else!
  • Gates of Hell
    Epic symphonic sounds, deep masculine vocals reminiscent of monastic chanting, piano theme as the bridge, and clashing percussion. Yep, that's some great fight music right there!
  • Grand Design
    Heavy metal with synthesizer. After that title screen theme, I'm betting you didn't expect something like this to fit or work -- but it somehow does.
  • Cursed Blood
    My favorite piece. Symphonic elements carried by violin, percussion, piano, and electric guitar. You have to hear it to really believe it. 


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube by clicking here: 


WHY I RECOMMEND IT

Fun fact: The reason I bought this PS2 game in the first place was because it came with the entire OST on a second disc. No joke! The GameStop "Used" sticker says $29.99, but I'm pretty sure that isn't what I paid for it. In any case, I popped in the OST disc on my computer before I even sat down to play the game on my PS2, and I fell in love with it. It has a lot of tracks that sound like your typical symphonic fight music from a JRPG game, but several others were very unique (as I listed above in my favorites). I feel this game didn't get the attention or credit it deserved, even though I never finished playing it. The entire soundtrack makes for fantastic background music if you're writing or roleplaying! It's hard for me to believe this was two console generations ago and that this time next year we'll move on to yet another, but I will continue to recommend this soundtrack!

THE COMPOSERS: TAKASHI OKAMOTO, ET ALIA

You'll notice the composer links in the stats above are only for three of them, and that the information isn't a lot. The difficulty here is that this was a Japanese game that was then given a North American release, and you can't even find these composers' names in the PS2 case, booklet, or on the disc. From what my Google-Fu could find, Takashi Okamoto is definitely the one who has been the most active (at least by the given name), working on more recent titles like Battle Princess of Arcadias (2014) and Contra: Rogue Corps (2019). I wish I had more information to provide here, but I'm afraid that will have to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment