Saturday, September 25, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Monster Hunter Stories 2 - Wings of Ruin

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin by Capcom.


 

THE STATS

Name: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
Developer: Capcom, Marvelous Inc.

Publisher: Capcom

Release Date: July 9, 2021
Genres: Adventure, RPG
Composers: Masahiro Ohki, Yuko Miyata, Marika Suzuki, Yoshitaka Suzuki


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 3:48) You're going to hear this one a lot if you play the game. It plays when the game first loads until you decide what you're going to do. That said, the loading scenes coupled with this music make it hard to load into your game sometimes...

(Length: 2:33) Hey, listen! Some English lyrics! It might even clue you in to the story. But it also does a great job of setting the island mood. You only hear this once during your gameplay, so it's definitely worth listening to!

(Length: 3:39) I just love the mischievous sound of this one because of the felynes! 

(Length: 3:01) Do you HEAR the dramatic tension in this music? I only wish the video's audio quality was better!

(Length: 2:56) I had to include one of the battle themes, and this one is my favorite. It has a lot of layers and makes use of a variety of instruments. If you want to hear the darker variation of it, you can check out the Strong version here (when the Monsters are tougher).



You can listen to the full playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I've been playing this game (almost) since it came out. It has some elements from the first game, which was on the 3DS, but has a lot more to offer musically than its predecessor. There are simple themes throughout, and it's simply an auditory joy to listen to. If you're a fan of RPG style soundtracks, then Capcom has a treat for you with this one. 


THE COMPOSERS

The four who are credited with working on the Wings of Ruin OST (via VGMdb.net) are in-house composers for Capcom. Marika and Yoshitaka have the more impressive discographies, and I wasn't able to find information about Yuko at all. It's safe to say from the quality of the music that Capcom didn't need to go looking for a composer, and had Marika's vast Monster Hunter music experience to keep it on par with other titles from the series.



If you like what you heard here, you can try to find a copy of the OST on eBay, as it was only released in Japan. Otherwise, I'm afraid you either have to listen on YouTube... or play the game!
(Guess which one I recommend...)




If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!


No comments:

Post a Comment