Saturday, February 4, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Ib

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Ib by kouri.

THE STATS

Name: Ib
Developer: 
kouri
Publisher: PLAYISM
Release Date: April 11, 2022 (Original: February 27, 2012)
Genres: Adventure, indie
Composer(s): YASUpochi


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 


(Length: 2:16) Innocent and lilting little guitar track! A few more minor chords and it could almost be a Danny Elfman piece.

(Length: 2:33) Just in case you missed all the clues about the main character being a little girl, and this being a horror game. Everything about the sound of this track should really make that clear. It also makes me think of the Ys VIII main theme.

(Length: 1:29) This is your ending theme, and I'm here mainly for the last 20 seconds. I wish this track had been longer. YASUpochi's guitar is beautiful.

(Length: 2:16) Creepy carnival waltz music box tones? Check.

(Length: 3:15) Not actually an original piece, but it's part of the OST and does a great job of setting the tone in the gallery. The full piece title is Violin Sonata in D minor, Op.5 No.12 'La Folia' by Arcangelo Corelli. Where my classical nerds at? This is for us.


You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Ib was originally a freeware horror game made in 2012. For its 10-year anniversary it was remade and released on Steam with updated... well, everything. It has a cult following in the indie game scene, and the soundtrack is no small part of that. The guitar tracks make me thing of the Hellsing soundtrack, which is an anime about vampires, military conspiracy, and horror. The game title in the stats up top links to the Steam store, but you can also find the original free version if you know how to Google (but there are enough people who rave about this game that I urge you to purchase the updated remake). It is also coming to the Nintendo Switch on March 9, 2023!

THE COMPOSER

YASUpochi's guitar pieces were used for many of the tracks, but there are other classical pieces and some piano also used which aren't credited to anyone specifically (or if they are, it's lost in translation since the developer is Japanese). I have linked YASUpochi's YouTube channel in the stats up top if you want 



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment