Saturday, February 25, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Elden Ring


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Elden Ring by FromSoftware.

THE STATS

Name: Elden Ring
Developer: 
FromSoftware
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Release Date: February 25, 2022
Genres: Action, RPG
Composer(s): Tsukasa Saitoh, Shoi Miyazawa, Tai Tomisawa, Yuka Kitamura, Yoshimi Kudo


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 


Godskin Apostles
(Length: 4:34) Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I heard this song for a long time. Clearly, I witnessed my husband's struggles...

(Length: 3:17) Unsettling and bleak are feelings I get from this track! 

Lichdragon Fortissax
(Length: 5:28) Chaotic organ music all over the place is enough to make anyone anxious! 

Morgott, the Omen King
(Length: 3:50) Discordant 6/8 time, punctuated by intense vocals... clearly meant to hamper the fight instead of help you immerse into the game!

(Length: 4:46) This almost sounds like it came out of Final Fantasy. Then it becomes something else at the 2-minute mark.

(Length: 6:08) I'm here for that percussion and brass! You could never tell me the title and I'd believe it was a war march.


You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    Today is the 1 year anniversary of Elden Ring's release (and how could I possibly pass up the opportunity to blog about it, right?) It was one of the games we had been looking forward to, and it didn't disappoint. I haven't played it yet myself, but I've heard many hours' worth of its soundtrack watching my husband play. I knew I was going to cover the OST and I'm only sorry it took this long to do it!

    If you've read any of my previous blog entries discussing FromSoftware titles, then you'll know I have a deep respect for their craft -- both the games and their soundtracks. Elden Ring is well done, but for me personally the soundtrack doesn't reach the same level as the Dark Souls games. Elden Ring's sound is a little less weird and a little more generic -- and that likely plays into the overarching theme of the game being more appealing to a broader spectrum of gamers. For many people, this was their introduction to FromSoftware. What I want is a video series of Elden Ring players moving on to Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, or Bloodborne. 

    In any case, the music of Elden Ring is well done. It just doesn't have that extra somethin'-somethin' that the Souls games' OSTs have. Still a great listen!

THE COMPOSERS

    The trouble with foreign developers is that there often isn't enough information to be had about such trifling things as composers and who arranged what or any kind of personal details about the people making the music. And if the information is there, sometimes it's hard to find because of the language barrier. (I am sorry, I am really only fluent in English.) Please accept these IMDb links for what info I can accurately share!



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment