Saturday, February 11, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Neon White

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Neon White by Angel Matrix.

THE STATS

Name: Neon White
Developer: 
Angel Matrix (Ben Esposito)
Publisher: Annapurna Interactive
Release Date: June 16, 2022
Genres: Action, adventure, indie
Composer: Machine Girl


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

There are so many tracks, and in such a wide variety of sounds that I'm just going to list the ones that really caught my attention as a musician: Virtual ParadiseSin to Win!, Hellion, The Wicked Heart, Dark Twist, Burden, Fade to White

You can listen to the full soundtrack here:



And also embedded right here:




WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    Supposedly Ben Esposito (the game developer) wanted music that sounded like it belonged to a PS-era game, and the Machine Girl duo took inspiration from titles like Jet Set Radio, Ape Escape, and even Doom. 

    The result? This. I really don't have the words to adequately describe the overall sound of this OST that is split into 2 parts. It very easily could be from a PS game if you only listened to it without knowing what it was from. It definitely tickles that little bit of auditory nostalgia that younger gamers wouldn't understand. So perhaps this is aimed at slightly older gamers? You be the judge!

THE COMPOSER

    Machine Girl is an electronic music duo. I'd never heard of them before this, but if the creator of Donut County sought them out specifically for Neon White's OST, then it's safe to say they're probably worth checking out. You can find them on their official website and Bandcamp.



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment