Monday, February 6, 2023

Special Edition: Hogwarts Legacy

In this special edition you'll find out about the action RPG Hogwarts Legacy by Avalanche Software, releasing on February 10th!


    Welcome back for another Special Edition! This is probably the most controversial title I've ever written about, but that's not going to stop me from featuring it. This is a Special Edition, after all, and in the newspaper world those are seldom anything positive--especially in modern media. I ask only that if you have chosen to read this entry you will be civil and courteous to others who have chosen to read it. 

    As the header image reveals, I'm talking about Hogwarts Legacy.

    I have been waiting in anticipation of this game for over 4 years. The first gameplay leak--before it had a title or been announced as a project--was in the fall of 2018. Suddenly, there was going to be an open world Potterverse game, and I couldn't wait to hear more! It was right before we got the second Fantastic Beasts movie, so it was a very well-timed leak. 

    I have been avoiding gameplay videos like I usually do when anticipating a game because I want to immerse myself in the story. This is the scenario that half-baked games like Hogwarts Mystery failed to execute -- letting Harry Potter fans become a Hogwarts student in their own right and get lost in the joy of being their own witch or wizard. I can't wait to finally don Hufflepuff robes (yeah, like I was going to be in any other house?) and learn some magic!

    I do realize that I have some friends who likely have not clicked the link to come read this entry. I realize they believe that buying or playing this game is an endorsement of views they disagree with. I'm not afraid to address that, here and now: To each their own. If people wish to unfollow me or have nothing to do with me over a game I choose to play, then they are only hurting their own feelings. J.K. Rowling created Hogwarts and all of the Potterverse lore, and by doing so she gave millions of people the gift of wonder, helping multiple generations of children since find joy in reading. To toss all of that aside because you disagree with her stance on a social issue is not something I would ever consider doing. I don't fuss at my friends for the media they consume. I don't put our friendships on the line if I disagree with their beliefs (and as a Christian I certainly have some disagreements I do not voice). Everyone should be free to play the games they want to, to find joy in their engagement and escapism, without others belittling them for issues that aren't even represented in the game or by the developers of the game. 

    Now, with that out of the way, I can say I am super excited to go pick up my pre-ordered PS5 Deluxe Edition this evening. Our internet is not terribly fast, but I should hopefully be able to start playing tomorrow after work. I have linked my various accounts so that I can get some extra cosmetic goodies, and I hope to catch one of the Avalanche Twitch streams this week to unlock Twitch drops. I'm particularly interested in Merlin's Cloak! The cloak is only available during launch week.




    Since I'll be playing on the PS5 (this backup laptop just wasn't going to handle the specs and my desktop is still in limbo), I won't be dropping a ton of game content in my blog or on social media. I got the game for my own enjoyment, and that way I can also play it at my own pace (probably kind of slow -- hopefully my husband has patience with me and has gotten his fix of Elden Ring for a while!).

    Will you be playing the game? Are there any questions about it I can help answer for you if you're considering making the purchase? I've been following the development from day one, and was in the official Discord the day it was opened to everyone. Please let me know if I can give you any details, and tell me which House you're in!

    If you want a safe space to talk about the game, I have a Discord channel set up only for people who have the role for it. So if social media gets a little too crazy for you, just let me know!


THE STATS

Name: Hogwarts Legacy
Developer: Avalanche Software
Publisher: Warner Bros. Games
Release Dates: February 10, 2023 (Windows, PS5, Xbox X/S); April 4, 2023 (PS4, Xbox One); July 25, 2023 (Switch)
Genres: Action, RPG
Available: SteamEpic GamesPlayStation 5, Playstation 4, Xbox X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch


MEDIA FROM HOGWARTSLEGACY.COM










(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)


If you enjoy Gamer Reverie, consider joining me on Patreon
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment