Saturday, January 4, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: To The Moon


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is To The Moon by Freebird Games.


THE STATS

Name: To The Moon
Developer: Freebird Games
Publisher: Freebird Games
Release Date: November 1, 2011
Genres: Adventure
Composer(s): Kan Gao


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

They're making an animated film of To The Moon, and I really hope this theme is playing during opening or closing credits.

Uncharted Realms
Mystery! Suspense! Something potentially sinister! This short track has it all.

I always enjoy a good moving harmony. This song is simple and beautiful.

There's something elegant and inherently emotional about piano pieces. The composition of this one just sings to the listener that it has a story to tell you. That's what I love about this soundtrack so much. Every snippet of  composed music has a purpose, and you can hear it.

Possibly not everyone's favorite, but I've always liked how hopeful it sounds. It's telling you that tomorrow is going to be another day, so relax, smile, and see what tomorrow brings. The part of the game this plays in is also important, but I'm certainly not going to spoil it here.

Everything's Alright
"Short steps, deep breath/ Everything is alright"
This is my favorite track in the entire game, and I never get tired of listening to it. The vocals are done by Laura Shigihara (whom you might know as the composer for Plants vs. Zombies or her own game, Rakuen -- I'll write more about her in an upcoming entry!), and she composed the song as well.* If you have played this game, listening to this song makes you cry. I haven't played the game in 6 years, and I'm tearing up right now while listening to it. [*Edited for correction. Thank you, @Cerra!]


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube by clicking here: 


WHY I RECOMMEND IT

First of all... I'M NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING. [Insert all of the 'crying' gifs here.]

Anyone who has played this game knows exactly what I'm talking about. While the majority of the tracks are a minute or less in length, the ones that are two minutes and longer are key elements of pivotal moments in the game. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'm going to tell you to go play the game so you understand what I mean. To The Moon is deceptive in appearance -- just a little adventure game made with RPG Maker where you click through dialogue and on key objects, all with simple sprite-based artwork. Despite that, it is a game that will make you laugh and cry. It will shake you at the roots of your humanity. People who used to be stoic were made to cry by this game. They're making an animated film of it (though the details are frustratingly vague still). This is a game everyone should experience. And I do mean experience.


THE COMPOSER CREATOR: KAN GAO

Look, there are dozens of articles on the internet about Kan Gao and his works -- notably all after To The Moon became an indie darling and put Kan on the map. They all focus on how he took not-well-looked-on RPG Maker and created with it. But not just your average pixellated RPGs -- he made precise, specific experiences. He somehow makes the pixels tell stories far larger than themselves, and therein lies the magic of Kan Gao. He's expanded Freebird Games over time, but still has a very small crew (4 in-house, last I knew), but that makes it remarkably easy for him to craft his work and see the big picture, meaning his music matches his story and artwork like you often don't see in larger, AAA games. I'm not a huge fan of the works before To The Moon, but I can recommend every title since. If you're reading this, you magnificent gem of a lost person on the internet, I will buy you a copy of To The Moon if I have managed to sell you on it. If not, I hope you'll take the time to browse the soundtrack and enjoy what you hear.

Kan, if you ever read this: Thank you for making such a beautiful game. I have gifted several copies to friends over the years, shared the updates and mini-sodes excitedly with the other adults you have brought to tears, and I promise I will finish playing Finding Paradise before Impostor Factory comes out. I hope you continue to make your wonderful games for many years to come!


When this world is no more 
The moon is all we'll see 
I'll ask you to fly away with me 
Until the stars all fall down 
They empty from the sky 
But I don't mind 
If you're with me, then everything's alright

No comments:

Post a Comment