Saturday, July 4, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Portal & Portal 2

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Portal & Portal 2 by Valve.


THE STATS

Name: Portal / Portal 2
Developer: Valve
Publisher: Valve
Release Date: October 10, 2007 / April 19, 2011
Genres: Puzzle-platform
Composer: Kelly Bailey & Mike Morasky / Mike Morasky


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

Portal


Self Esteem Fund
(Length: 3:31) Mellow futuristic tones, but with a sense of danger and mystery.

No Cake For You
(Length: 4:05) I'm not really sure how describe the sound of this one... but the cake is a lie!

Still Alive
(Length: 3:04) Look, I don't know why you're reading a gaming blog if you haven't heard this song yet. Or know of it. "You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."


Portal 2


Science is Fun
(Length 2:33) If all science was as fun as this song, I think there would be more scientists in the world.

9999999
(Length: 3:11) I always love this one because it reminds me of the very beginning of the game and the element the title references. Things have cleeeeeeearly gone downhill at Aperture!

There She Is
(Length: 4:20) Nope, not a white whale. This is supposed to be creepy and haunting because "she" is definitely scary and evokes that kind of reverence!

The Friendly Faith Plate
(Length: 2:59) This one's got a thumpin' beat, doesn't it? The Faith Plate in the game is something that pretty much launches stuff in the air. Super friendly right?

Turret Wife Serenade
(Length: 1:38) Players of the game only are going to appreciate this one, I think. You had to be there. You know, in that one part where you find them. If you missed this, were you even playing the game?

Halls of Science 4
(Length: 4:35) This is my ringtone. No lie. I don't think I need to say anything else, do I? I also love Johnny Ripper's remix that was used in the live action Lab Ratt fan-video.

You Are Not Part of the Control Group
(Length: 3:24) Time for splattery messes to make puzzles more fun, amirite?


"Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line on the floor. You'll know when the test starts."―Cave Johnson


PotatOS Lament
(Length: 1:59) Another "you had to be there" thing. Sorry, not sorry.

Reconstructing More Science
(Lenth: 2:36) This song is the base for a remix I love dearly. But it's perfect just the way it is, too. Also, I dug on my old hard drive just to find the music file to then go searching for the correct remix on YouTube. Just for you. Are you still there?

Your Precious Moon
(Length: 1:55) Uh-oh, this sounds serious. I love it.

Cara Mia Addio
(Length: 2:33) Fun fact: The voice actress for GLaDOS is a soprano singer. Lots of fan debates about the meaning of this song tied in with the game's story. This is here for the gamer geeks like myself who would never forgive me if I didn't include it. You're welcome.

Want You Gone
(Length: 2:21) Ellen McLain sang this, too. (And 'Still Alive' from the first game.) I enjoy the song, but it doesn't have the same kind of vibe as 'Still Alive.' "Goodbye my only friend. Oh, did you think I meant you? That would be funny if it weren't so sad."


You can listen to the full soundtracks on YouTube:




WHY I RECOMMEND IT

I love the music of the Portal games! Admittedly, the first soundtrack is short and the tracks are more of an ambient thing -- and I dearly love the majority of the tracks in the sequel's soundtrack because they have more individuality, digital distortion, and added elements. I enjoyed the music even before I played the games, but the music becomes that much more enjoyable and personable once you've played them. You are brought back to the moment and events when you hear it, and for a story like the one told from Portal through Portal 2, that's a momentous thing to accomplish.


THE COMPOSERS: KELLY BAILEY & MIKE MORASKY

So, I talked about Kelly Bailey before when I covered the Half-Life 2 soundtrack. There isn't a whole lot to share. He only worked on the first Portal game.

Mike Morasky, however, worked on both games. He also has a crazy variety of accomplishments! Not only did he also work on composing scores for Team Fortress 2, the Left 4 Dead series, and Half-Life: Alyx, but he's known for his visual effects work on The Lord of the Rings and The Matrix... AND is the founder of several underground art bands. Dude's busy being creative, that's for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment