Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Wishlist Wednesday: Hidden Paws

In this weekly feature, I share game titles from my various gaming wishlists. I share screenshots and video from the developer, talk about my expectations, and generally just ramble about why the title made it onto my list in the first place. This week's choice is Hidden Paws by Manic Hyena.


THE STATS

Name: Hidden Paws
Developer: Manic Hyena
Publisher: Manic Hyena
Release Date: March 22, 2018
Genres: Casual, Indie
Wishlist Location: Steam


MEDIA FROM STEAM

(I tried to get it from the developer's press kit, but apparently they don't want it being used.)














(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)




WHY I WANT IT

Cats. And a free Christmas update.

...

Alright, I get it. You want more than that. Let's see...

Sometimes you just need a casual game where you're looking for hidden things. This is a few notches above the 'hidden object' genre in that you have to look for cats and listen for their meowing. You have to be smart in your surroundings in order to find them. It's winter for Pete's sake, and those kitties need to be inside where it's warm!

The sense of accomplishment for rescuing kitties stranded outside in the cold is a simple yet effective motivation for players to engage. The promise of free, festive additions to scratch my year-round Christmas itch is cream in my saucer. (Too sappy? Deal with it. KITTIES.)

I have wanted a fair few number of games simply because they featured cats. I'm probably going to buy this one because it's on sale right now. You should, too! Have you read the developers' story on their website? It's adorable. They are based in Poland and super straightforward about how and why they got together to make this game (in three days). It's not going to pad CEO pockets at some giant publishing company when you purchase the game. And did I emphasize the cats?

But let's be real here. They had me at 'Christmas.'


If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!



No comments:

Post a Comment