Saturday, July 18, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Quake


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Quake by id Software.

THE STATS

Name: Quake
Developer: id Software
Publisher: GT Interactive
Release Date: June 22, 1996
Genres: First-person shooter
Composer: Trent Reznor, Nine Inch Nails


THE SOUNDTRACK


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:



MY PERSPECTIVE

I... did not like this soundtrack.

Except for one track, all of it is merely creepy and ambient sound. I think a lot is lost when it's not part of the whole. I imagine the subtlety of this soundtrack works best when you have enemies to shoot at, but by itself it is disappointing to me.

Got some great sci-fi tabletop gaming going on? Queue this up for your ambiance. It won't disappoint. In fact, I can think of some space pirate RP in my own past that would have benefited from having this in the background.


THE COMPOSER: TRENT REZNOR & NINE INCH NAILS

I'm pretty sure I don't have to elaborate on all the many things Trent Reznor has composed and blown us away with, much less Nine Inch Nails. But you may not have known that's who composed for the game, so there you go. You're welcome!

What? You wanted more? So did I. I was told this was a good one to cover and trusted the source. *eyes narrow* That won't happen again!



No comments:

Post a Comment