Saturday, August 7, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Cloudpunk

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Cloudpunk by ION LANDS.



THE STATS

Name: Cloudpunk
Developer: ION LANDS

Publisher: ION LANDS, Maple Whispering Limited

Release Date: April 23, 2020
Genres: Adventure, indie, RPG
Composers: Harry Critchley



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) Note: This is just the original soundtrack, not the additional DLC tracks.

Cloudpunk Main Theme 
(Length: 1:59) The opening of this track reminds me of consoles powering up, logos on screens, and ambient chill-out music, then it lets in a little Vangelis and we are clearly getting some quality synthwave.  
 
(Length: 3:59) This one has a haunting quality to it, and is downright spooky with some great dissonance at the halfway point. 

(Length: 3:52) I love the beat in this track, and I'm going to be sure to add it to my workout/exercise/chore mix. 

(Length: 2:12) The ethereal tones at the beginning are what caught me here. The energy and persistent motion of this track keep you engaged!

(Length: 3:50)  For some reason this one reminds me of the Amplitude soundtrack and also the score for Ladyhawke?


You can listen to the full playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Sometime while working on these Soundtrack Saturday entries, I came to really enjoy synthwave style music -- and I think I owe that largely to the Furi soundtrack. In any case, this could easily be a soundtrack for a sci-fi movie set in the future, but with a Blade Runner vibe because it is also a bit retro with sound. This is the future of a few decades ago, and you can hear it in all of the musical choices being made. It's excellent background music, and several tracks are going to be in my new rotation of work music!


THE COMPOSER: HARRY CRITCHLEY

Since this is an indie title and Harry's Twitter says he's a freelance music composer, there isn't a lot of info to share or go off of. He looks young, so we'll probably be seeing more things from him in the future. And I'm looking forward to it! I've followed him on Twitter -- and I'm happy to see screenshots of composition in action. That's always a good sign for composers, trust me. 



If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on Steam. Here's a handy widget for the OST on Steam:



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment