Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Wishlist Wednesday: Pine ACQUIRED

In this new monthly sub-feature, I revisit a Wishlist Wednesday title that I have since acquired and had the opportunity to play, sharing whether or not it is still a good wishlist item. This month's choice is Pine by Twirlbound.



THE STATS

Name: Pine
Developer: Twirlbound
Publisher: Kongregate
Release Date: October 10, 2019
Genres: Adventure
Wishlist Location: Steam
Last Appeared in Gamer Reverie: April 22, 2020


GAMEPLAY SCREENSHOTS











GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE

I had a bit of a time adjusting the reactive timing of my mouse to cooperate with the sensitivity of the game controls (I didn't feel like connecting my PS4 controller, and I'm more comfortable with a mouse and keyboard), but the controls themselves were similar to games like Yonder: The Cloudcatcher Chronicles and worked smoothly.

I like how the game doesn't outright patronize you when introducing new mechanics in the beginning, but offers clear direction in a pop-up and lets you do the rest. (There's nothing worse than a pushy and persistent tutorial, amirite?) It was easy to figure out how to gather, craft, equip items, use items, move, and even read the details at the village donation boxes to make sure of giving appropriate gifts to increase friendship.

The story is a little on the cliche side, but the gameplay is the focal point I think. The emphasis is on growing, learning to adapt, surviving, and playing diplomacy right. I went the wrong direction before learning about the donation boxes and very swiftly had my butt handed to me. The game is fun, but it certainly doesn't hold your hand!

I'm looking forward to further exploration and figuring out which alliances will work best for my goals! Additionally, it's an exceptionally pretty game with beautiful music. I believe I'll be adding this to the Soundtrack series at some point.


VERDICT

Yes. This game was worth purchasing, and I would wishlist it again if I could. It delivered on all of its promises in the trailer and screenshots. I'm sure being backed by Kickstarter made a lot of difference here, both in goals/promises made as well as making it a polished product. Some love was clearly put into this game, and I highly recommend it!





If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!


If you enjoy my Wishlist selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment