Saturday, November 27, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Secret of Mana

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Secret of Mana by Square Enix.


THE STATS

Name: Secret of Mana
Developer: Square Enix

Publisher: Square Enix

Release Date: August 6, 1993 (February 15, 2018)
Genres: Action, RPG
Sound Designers: Hiroki Kikuta



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 1:48) I liked the deeper tones of this track -- it stands out because it isn't as bright and upbeat as many of the others.

(Length: 1:15) Melody and counter-melody! It's a great balance between them, and it's my favorite track!

(Length: 1:07) This is only here because it's so jazzy... and so very 90's.

(Length: 2:02) As close to symphonic as these tracks can get, but I love the complete change at 0:54 through the end. It's whimsical and makes me think fondly of all the older game consoles.

(Length: 2:48) As far as ending themes go, this one is SO 90's and so upbeat it might make you think it's the beginning of the game.


You can listen to the complete playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Confession time: I've never played the original game or its remake. I always hear the title mentioned, and it comes up when searching for "games with good soundtracks." Being one of those titles, I felt I should give it a listen and blog about it.

I wasn't disappointed! This is one of the best older soundtracks I've covered yet, and I will probably go delving for more works by the composer. If you enjoy late 80's/early 90's video game music, you will probably enjoy this soundtrack (but you've probably already listened to it, haven't you?).


THE COMPOSER: HIROKI KIKUTA

This is the first time I've heard the name, but clearly he's been around for a while. Other titles in his portfolio include Trials of Mana, Shining Hearts, Soul Calibur V, Rise of Mana, and Tangledeep (among many others!). He originally got a degree in Religious Studies, Philosophy, and Cultural Anthropology before starting out as... a manga illustrator! From there he began composing for anime series before starting to work for Square in 1991, just a few years before Secret of Mana came out. From this listening journey, I think we can all say we're glad he explored beyond his degree!




If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on Amazon!



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment