Saturday, January 28, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Katana Zero

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Katana Zero by Askiisoft.

THE STATS

Name: Katana Zero
Developer: 
Askiisoft
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Release Date: April 18, 2019
Genres: Action, indie
Composer(s): LudoWic, Bill Kiley, Tunç Çakır, DJ Electrohead, Justin Stander


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

Sneaky Driver (Bill Kiley)
(Length: 4:39) The rhythm and percussion is what sold me on this track. It has a nice groove -- something I'd expect in Crypt of the NecroDancer, almost.

Meat Grinder (LudoWic)
(Length: 3:44) The rhythm again on this one, but it also reminds me a little of Savage Garden's I Want You? 

(Length: 3:36) I don't have anything to compare this one to, aside from a vaguely Middle Eastern sound and sway of the music mimicking a snake.

Rain on Brick (Bill Kiley)
(Length: 1:24) Hands down my absolute favorite! Not just because of the saxophone -- the mood set by the rain, the harmonizing between piano and saxophone... it all just works together to make that sexy jazz sound with a twist of melancholy. I can only wish it was much longer than it is!

Silhouette (Bill Kiley)
(Length: 3:35) Continuing with the rain theme, but shifting gears into Blade Runner vibes... this track hits its amazing stride around the 1:30 mark. If not in homage to Vangelis, than definitely to otherworldly 80's soundtracks.

Blue Room (Tunç Çakır)
(Length: 2:54) This track has that sustained chip tune hum that sounds like an ending theme or at least the end of a story. The rest of the soundtrack could easily be building to this moment. It stands out as a track -- possibly because of the different composer. Don't wait for percussion or a bass line to drop in -- it's consistent throughout.


You can listen to the full soundtrack here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Honestly? This was a random, happy find. Every so often I go browsing through everything on Steam, looking for more titles to include in my various series. I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing the game itself, but the soundtrack sounds like a cross between Blade Runner and Furi -- and I'm here for it.

THE COMPOSERS

With several contributing to this OST, I felt it best I just provide links to them so you can check out the ones that interest you most based on the tracks. I think my favorite of the bunch is probably Bill Kiley, with LudoWic as a close second.




If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on Steam, and several other places:


If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment