Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Wishlist Wednesday: Melody's Escape 2

 In this weekly feature, I share game titles from my various gaming wishlists. I share screenshots and video from the developer, talk about my expectations, and generally just ramble about why the title made it onto my list in the first place. This week's choice is Melody's Escape 2 by Icetesy.


THE STATS

Name: Melody's Escape 2
Developer: Icetesy
Publisher: Icetesy
Early Access Release Date: September 30, 2022
Genres: Indie, music
Wishlist Location: Steam


MEDIA FROM MELODYSESCAPE.COM






(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)



WHY I WANT IT

I actually... don't. Not as it is right now, anyway. However, I might just be being a music snob with high expectations in my music games, so I decided I should share this game with you anyway. Allow me to explain.

The original game was amazing. The graphics were modern and minimalistic, allowing the colors and obstacles to really express the music being read by the game's algorithm. It allowed for people to very easily make and share outfits via the Steam Workshop so you could customize Melody. And the 2D sidescroll view felt very much like reading music -- so when things became complicated it was like a challenging bit of sight-reading (that is, reading music for the first time and playing it at the same time -- like reading a poem aloud the first time you're actually reading the words). It was a thrill for me because sight-reading has always been one of my favorite parts of being a musician.

Enter this 3D rendition, with a model who looks like she's clacking her ankles together while trotting, and an environment that looks too bright to enjoy the changing colors and obstacles -- it all blends together. I'm sorry. That sounds awful of me. I do realize this game is in Early Access -- but they've been working on it for years and I really expected it to be better than it is if it's already available in Early Access. I am also bothered that there is no view from directly behind Melody -- it's always slightly off to one side. That irritates my inner OCD gremlin, and I am clearly a horrible person. I know this is a one-person developer, but I didn't want to just fangirl about the first game and tell you to buy it on that basis alone. That's fair, right?

But, look -- if you like music games, rhythm games, runners... you might want to give this game a try. I would, however, recommend the original game first. I spent many, many nights doing song requests for Extra Life donations in my early days of Twitch. (Since the games allow you two use your own music library, there is nearly endless replayability.) There are many people who are enjoying this Early Access game, but there are some well-spoken negative reviewers also who are trying to be fair with their assessments as well. 

It boils down to this: Do you like music runners?


If you said yes, you can wishlist both on Steam herehere!





If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!



If you enjoy my Wishlist selections, consider joining me on Patreon
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment