Monday, January 23, 2023

Special Edition: Forspoken

   

In this special edition you'll find out about the action RPG Forspoken by Luminous Productions, releasing on January 24th!


    Welcome back for another Special Edition! This second game of note is one I've been excited about since it was first announced in June 2020 at the PS5 reveal! Despite that, I probably won't be playing it for a while since I have another big title coming up in a few weeks that I've already pre-ordered for PS5 and, well, as a mostly-responsible adult I only have so many hours to devote to games.

THE STATS

Name: Forspoken
Developer: Luminous Productions
Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: January 24, 2023
Genres: Action, adventure, RPG
Available: Steam, Microsoft, Epic Games, PlayStation 5


MEDIA FROM SQUARE-ENIX-GAMES.COM








(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)



    I suppose you're reading this text because you're not wholly convinced by the screenshots and cinematic trailer, and that tells me you're probably a seasoned gamer wanting someone else's brain to point out the good and bad about the game to help you decide whether or not to play it -- or even purchase it. Shall we begin?

    First, I should tell you that I haven't watched most of the gameplay videos that have been shared -- either for promotion or from the demo. While I like a good cinematic trailer to sell me on the story and experience, I find I enjoy the game less if I feel like I've already been in it. What snippets I've seen in reasonable-length trailers has shown me that I'll probably get my butt handed to me by mobs and NPCs alike. There are some sassy NPCs making the protagonist's adventure more of a struggle than it already is, and I'm here for it!

    I'm not even going to spend any time talking about Luminous Productions (Final Fantasy XV) or Square Enix (Final Fantasy, Bravely, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, and many others). You know what you're getting here.

    The game environments look amazing -- both natural and fantastical, modern (New York) and ancient (Athia). While the plot isn't anything terribly original -- a girl from our world gets transported to a fantastical other world, has magic powers, and gets to cleanse the Blight and save the day -- it's still the kind of adventure people like to dive into. 

    And speaking of the protagonist -- we get our very own New Yorker? Something, something... New Yorkers are tough and don't take lip from anybody... or something. I think that's supposed to set the tone for how you have to play Frey as she uses her magic in Athia. 

    The only thing I cringe about is the fact that they actually named one of the game features "Magic Parkour." That's right -- the magical abilities that allow Frey to traverse the world of Athia... is called Magic Parkour. (Do you hear Michael Scott's voice in your head like I do?)

    Cringey feature names aside, it still looks like it will be a fantastic game to play -- but I'll probably have to wait until I get my PC working and juiced up towards the latter half of 2023!


If you enjoy Gamer Reverie, consider joining me on Patreon
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment