Saturday, May 6, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Kingdom Hearts


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Kingdom Hearts by Square.

THE STATS

Name: Kingdom Hearts
Developer: 
Square (now Square Enix)
Publisher: Square Electronic Arts
Release Date: March 16, 2022
Genres: Action, adventure, RPG
Composer: Yoko Shimomura


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 


(Length: 1:10) If you don't know this song... for shame! Go play some Kingdom Hearts! Right now!

(Length: 2:48) Alright, so the midi saxophone might grate on my nerves a little 20 years later, but the jazzy groove still instantly brings me back to Traverse Town!

(Length: 3:02) I struggled a smidge with Tarzan's jungle areas. Clayton was a pain. But I still liked this music in the background.

(Length: 2:22) Is it the same as Danny Elfman's? Not really. But that's okay. It's still our beloved Nightmare Before Christmas.

(Length: 2:26) Now THIS is a great track. Suspense and danger!

(Length: 3:14) This sounds like a track from Eternal Poison... which actually came out 6 years after Kingdom Hearts. Either way, I like it. It's dark and forboding!

(Length: 1:45) I'm a sucker for anything that sounds like a music box. That's the only reason this track is listed.


You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    This is one of my all-time favorite games, so of course I had to write about it at some point. If you have to ask why I recommend it, you're either too young or too old. 

THE COMPOSER

    Shimomura is the composer of some of my favorite titles, up to and including Final Fantasy XV. Other works include Heroes of Mana, Legend of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, all the other Kingdom Hearts titles, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam; High Score Girl (anime); Radiant Historia, and Live A Live (which just got a remake on Switch, PC, PS4/PS5).

If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment